The struggling Dallas Mavericks are better off after missing out on Dwight Howard, according to owner Mark Cuban.
"I think we’ve put ourselves in a spot where we’re in a better spot than we were at if we got just the one max-out deal," Cuban told ESPNDallas.com on Wednesday. "I think it’d be better shorter and longer term. I don’t want to make that sound the wrong way. I think we’ll be better this year because we added five good players or more."
The Mavs missed out on all the big names this offseason, including Howard, who left the Los Angeles Lakers to sign with the Houston Rockets.
“The only meeting I have had with a free agent that I wanted and didn’t get was Howard,” Cuban told FOX Sports’ Bill Reiter earlier this week.
Offseasons of late have been rough for the Mavs, who whiffed on Deron Williams last summer and Howard this time around. This offseason the Mavs signed Monta Ellis on a three-year deal worth around $28 million.
"Obviously, we were disappointed we didn’t get Dwight, but we pretty much got everything else we wanted to get and then some. Much more," Cuban told ESPNDallas.com. "We never thought we’d be able to get Monta. It turned into a good summer. Now, the key is to get everybody playing together, get everyone healthy, keep them healthy and go."
After winning the NBA title in 2011, the Mavs were swept in the first round of the playoffs in 2012 by the Oklahoma City Thunder and failed to make the postseason this past season.