BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
JUL 07, 2014 11:55a ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Monday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. EDT:
- CLEVELAND - Almost everything about the Cavaliers has changed since LeBron James left as a free agent four years ago. Dan Gilbert, though, remains. In the hours after James' infamous decision in 2010, Cleveland's owner launched a public attack on the superstar. Before James considers coming back, he'll have to repair his busted relationship with Gilbert.
- LONDON - Queen Elizabeth's guards will be in for a show of speed, bright-colored lycra and thousands of cheering fans as the Tour de France heads to London for a Stage 3 finish near Big Ben and Buckingham Palace. Italy's Vincenzo Nibali is king of the pack in the prized yellow jersey for a 96-mile (155-kilometer) ride from Cambridge that culminates the English sojourn for cycling's greatest race this year before it crosses the Channel to France.
- LONDON - Novak Djokovic knew all along that his game was good enough to win more Grand Slam titles. It was his mind that was the problem - what the Wimbledon champion called Monday ''the fear and the doubt and all these different demons.'' By Tennis Writer Howard Fendrich. SENT: 675 words, photos.
- TUKWILA, Wash. - DeAndre Yedlin is back with the Seattle Sounders but far more known than when he left for U.S. national team camp nearly two months ago. After an impressive performance in the World Cup, the question now is how long can Seattle hold on to its budding homegrown star?
- NEW YORK - The Nets considered Lionel Hollins last year when they were looking for a coach. They went back to him this time after Jason Kidd left, and on Monday hold a press conference to welcome the former Memphis Grizzlies coach to Brooklyn. By Basketball Writer Brian Mahoney. 600 words. Press conference at 10:30 a.m.
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - P.J. Hairston is expected to practice with the Hornets as minicamp gets underway. Hairston was involved in an altercation with a high school basketball player at a Durham YMCA on Sunday and the team said it is looking into the matter.
- DETROIT - The Detroit Tigers have three players in the All-Star game, but the clubhouse is hopeful another will be joining them. Rick Porcello's improvement this year has earned him a spot in the online vote for the final spot on the American League roster.
- ATHENS, Ga. - Michael Phelps takes another step in his comeback and Ryan Lochte gets to test out his surgically repaired knee during a special meet at the University of Georgia this week.