BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
MAR 29, 2014 11:30a ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
- ANAHEIM, Calif. - Arizona and Wisconsin play in the West Regional final with a spot in the Final Four at stake. It's the only match-up of 1-2 teams in the final eight of the NCAA tournament. Neither Wildcats coach Sean Miller nor Badgers coach Bo Ryan has gotten to a Final Four in their careers.
- MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Florida Gators are going for their fifth Final Four berth and first since 2007 in the South Region final Saturday night against 11th-seeded Dayton. The Flyers are looking to add the top overall seed to their list of NCAA tournament upsets and clinch their first Final Four trip since 196
- The latest edition of BracketRacket, the one-stop shopping place for all offbeat NCAA tournament needs, includes a shooter talking about defense, a jolting experience in the West and celebrities at Madison Square Garden. SENT.
- MARACAY, Venezuela - Miguel Cabrera's hometown seems unfazed by the news that the Tigers slugger signed the richest contract in baseball history. Many there felt ''Miguelito'', as many in his hometown still call him, was destined for greatness.
- ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Los Angeles Angels realize Mike Trout is the most valuable young player in baseball, and they were determined to keep him away from early free agency. Trout can get comfortable in Orange County with his six-year, $144.5-million contract through 2020.- KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -
- PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia 76ers will be trying to avoid a 27th straight loss and an ugly place in history when they host the Detroit Pistons. Another defeat would give the 76ers, who have matched the longest losing streak in NBA history, the longest skid in any of the four major U.S. pro sports
- KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - Serena Williams tries for her seventh Key Biscayne title when she faces Li Na in the final at the Sony Open
- MARTINSVILLE, Va. - Jimmie Johnson talks about Hendrick Motorsports' rich and tragic history at Martinsville Speedway, and five things to look for in Sunday's 500-mile race
- NEW ORLEANS - Intense Holiday is a 2-21 morning line favorite out of a 10-horse field in Saturday's $1 million Louisiana Derby, one of the premier prep races for the opening race of the Triple Crown, the Kentucky Derby.
- BEAVER CREEK, Colo. - Some of Lindsey Vonn's good friends on the World Cup circuit are starting to retire, which naturally leads to this: Just how much longer does she plan on racing? Vonn is coming off a second knee surgery, one that kept her out of the Sochi Games. But Vonn has made overtures of skiing in the 2018 Winter Olympics.- SEATTLE - The Seattle Sounders look for their third win in four matches when they host the Columbus Crew on Saturday night.