Cavs fans back Gilbert on LeBron letter
The Cleveland Cavaliers say thousands of fans have offered support to owner Dan Gilbert, with some asking to chip in and help pay his NBA fine.
LeBron and D-Wade on the same team? With Bosh? Very interesting.
- Rosen: Humble suggestions for Heat
- Rosen: Heat strengths, weaknesses
- Rosen: Heat-Lakers Finals?
- Goodman: Cruelest slap to Cleveland
- FS Ohio: Monster created long ago
- Hench: LeBron the new Benedict Arnold
- Kriegel: He's the villain now
- Whitlock: The NBA's Clown Prince
- Lowry: Bad 'Decision' for ESPN
- Summer of LeBron page
Gilbert fired off an emotional letter to Cavs fans on Thursday night, shortly after superstar LeBron James announced he was leaving Cleveland to join the Miami Heat. Gilbert lambasted James, calling him ''narcissistic'' and vowing that the Cavs would win an NBA title before ''the self-titled former king.''
On Monday, Gilbert was fined $100,000 by commissioner David Stern for his letter and comments he made to The Associated Press about James. Stern felt the owner's criticism of the MVP was ''a little extreme.''
Gilbert thanked Cavs fans in a statement and said he will pay the fine by himself. He also asked for fans to donate any money they pledged to him to charity.