FOX Sports Exclusive
Kanaan has visited with Gibbs team
Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan has met with officials at Joe Gibbs Racing, but there are no formal discussions for the IndyCar regular to move into NASCAR.
A published report Friday said that Kanaan had been offered a NASCAR Nationwide Series ride for the 2014 season. But a JGR team spokesman has disputed that report.
“There is no deal,” JGR’s Chris Helein said in an email to FOXSports.com. “Just had an initial meeting. Nothing even being formally discussed.”
Kanaan, wildly popular with fans, is the 2004 series champion. He has finished in the top 10 in the IndyCar standings in each of the past 10 seasons.
Juan Pablo Montoya, who entered NASCAR at 31 after winning the Champ Car title and posting wins in Formula One, would welcome Kanaan to stock car competition.
“I think it’s a lot harder than people think,” Montoya said. “I think he can do it. (JGR) are winning. I think if you get in the right car there, it definitely could be a good thing for him. I just don’t know how true it is.”
More Stories From Lee Spencer