Remembering Dale Sr.’s kind act after Stewart’s first marathon

Dale Earnhardt Sr. (right) was clearly proud of Tony Stewart (left) after Stewart's first attempt at running the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day.

What’s it like running the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same day? In a word, it’s brutal.

And no one knows that better than Tony Stewart, who did it twice, in 1999 and 2001.

During Stewart’s first shot at the double, in his rookie season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, he found that out.

Dale Earnhardt was not much for small talk. But when the man known as "The Intimidator" let his actions speak for him, those actions spoke volumes.

"You knew when he said things that the words he used weren’t necessarily what the message was he was trying to convey to you," said Tony Stewart, a friend and competitor of Earnhardt’s. "He had that wink in his eye, he had that grin. That said a lot of words without ever opening his mouth."

It was that first attempt at completing the double when Earnhardt lent Stewart a big hand in time of need.

More than a dream: Kurt Busch to do Indy 500, Coke 600 double

The date was May 30, 1999. It was a big day — in addition to Stewart’s attempt at doing the double, the Coke 600 was also Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s first Sprint Cup start.

Stewart’s day began in his home state of Indiana, where he finished ninth in the Indy 500. Immediately after the race, he hopped onto a Joe Gibbs Racing private jet, which flew him to Concord, N.C. From there, he took a helicopter to the infield of Charlotte Motor Speedway. After he landed, he was walking across the infield and, as he did, other drivers came up to him, shook his hand and congratulated him on his Indy run.

When Stewart got to Earnhardt, the seven-time champion didn’t just shake Stewart’s hand. He put one arm around Stewart’s waist and lifted him clear off the ground, rubbing the top of his head with his other hand. It looked for all the world as if some proud father was lifting up his son after hitting the game-winning home run in a Little League game. Stewart’s jaw dropped and he was clearly shocked.

Earnhardt set him down and walked away without saying a word.

That night was a typical heat-thick Charlotte late May evening, with stifling temperatures and suffocating humidity. The cockpits of the cars were brutally hot for NASCAR’s longest race. Jeff Burton, driving the No. 99 Roush Racing Ford, won the marathon, ahead of Bobby Labonte and Mark Martin.

Stewart finished fourth, Earnhardt sixth and Earnhardt Jr. 16th. For the day, Stewart raced 1,090 out of a possible 1,100 miles, earning top 10s in both races, a truly remarkable feat given that he was a rookie Cup racer.

But Stewart paid a terrible price, physically. He got sick in his Joe Gibbs Racing Pontiac at one point and when the grueling 600-mile Cup race concluded, he pulled up to the gas pumps behind pit road and collapsed in his car.

Tony Stewart is now a team owner and three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion.

"Obviously, I didn’t understand the importance of nutrition and all that at the time," said Stewart. "I felt really rough after the race. I was just tired. I didn’t have any nutrition during the day, and my body was out of gas. I just sat there with a cold, wet towel. I was out of energy. I was tired."

And then Earnhardt appeared.

Out of nowhere, The Intimidator walked up to Stewart’s car, which was mobbed by photographers, crew members and NASCAR officials. Without saying a word, the crowd somehow sensed Earnhardt’s presence and stepped aside as the seven-time champion approached.

"I just was sitting there, and as I started getting out of the car, I got grabbed," Stewart said. "And that wakes you up right away, when somebody grabs you real abruptly like that. And you turn around and you see Dale and you see the grin on his face."

Earnhardt gently sat Stewart done at the edge of his car, slapped him lightly on the face, bent down and whispered something in Stewart’s ear.

"The first thing out of his mouth is, ‘Have you had enough yet?’" Stewart recalled.

"I told him, ‘I think that’s all I’ve got for one day.’"

And just like that Earnhardt turned and walked away. Gone.

But Stewart will always remember what Earnhardt did, a combination of an act of simple human kindness in pulling him out of the car and Earnhardt’s nonverbal display, showing Stewart how much he respected what the rookie had done that day.

Actions, not words, were Earnhardt’s style. No flowery speeches, just a quiet act that spoke more in a few seconds than any words could ever say.

Stewart definitely got the message.

"I’d built a pretty good relationship with him in a short amount of time, and for him to come up and respect what I was doing that day, for him to come up and acknowledge that, that really meant the world to me," Stewart said of Earnhardt.

"He showed me how much he cared about me as a person. You always knew where you stood with him. In a situation like that, if he didn’t like you, he wasn’t going to come up and do that. It really made me have a sense of pride knowing that he cared enough about how my day went and how I felt after that race, that he came up to me. Basically, without flat saying it, he gave me a hug and said, ‘Good job.’"

FOX Fantasy Auto Form a Racing Team, Compete for Prizes
Play Now!