Juan Pablo Montoya open to idea of running Brickyard 400
FEB 18, 2014 1:00p ET
It's possible NASCAR fans haven't seen the last of Juan Pablo Montoya.
Despite Montoya's move to IndyCar with Team Penske, the 38-year-old Colombian is not ruling out running in the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
"I think the Brickyard would be a good thing," Montoya said. "I've been so close so many times. It would be a good way of closing that chapter with a good win there. I know (team owner) Roger (Penske) hasn't won there. If we could get the opportunity to do it, I think it would be pretty cool."
Montoya has the potential to be the first driver to win the Indianapolis 500 and the Brickyard 400. He won the Indy 500 in 2000 racing for Chip Ganassi -- and no other driver currently competing in NASCAR can boast a Borg-Warner trophy in his case.
In 253 Sprint Cup starts, Montoya posted victories at Sonoma and Watkins Glen. In 2009 and 2010, he had stout runs in the Brickyard 400 -- nearly closing the deal in 2009 when he led 116 of 160 laps and then was penalized for speeding on pit road.
Though no driver believes a track "owes" him a win, Montoya would like another shot at getting one at the Brickyard.
"The Penske cars are so strong there that it would be a hell of an opportunity," Montoya said.
During the Sprint Cup Media Tour in Charlotte last month, Penske acknowledged discussing the possibility of Montoya competing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May -- and July.
"Let's just see how the season goes," Penske said. "If we would run him, we'd have to get him in a race before that. So that's kind of the thought we have. It's a great idea and one we've thought about."
Certainly a Brickyard 400 trophy is on Penske's bucket list. He joked that he had room for it in his trophy case, "right in the center." And with Montoya joining the Team Penske Cup lineup of Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano, the Captain could have a triple threat at IMS.
As for Montoya attempting a future run in the Daytona 500 or on the road courses, where Team Penske's Nationwide Series operation swept all three events last year, the driver deferred to the boss.
"Whatever they tell me, I'm not in charge," Montoya said. "But if I have the time, yeah. Remember, this season is pretty packed up in the summer. So we'll see."