Labonte may not race Kentucky

Bobby Labonte is not sure if he will race next week's NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Kentucky Speedway.

Bobby Labonte is still uncertain of his plans for next weekend’s race at Kentucky Speedway.

"As of today, I'm not sure yet about Kentucky," Labonte said. "I'm trying to work on some things."

Although Labonte tested with the No. 47 JTG/Daugherty team on the 1.5-mile track earlier this month, team owner Tad Geschickter says “mechanical problems at Michigan” have forced the organization to move up its second of a five-race schedule with AJ Allmendinger.

“Some of what we were trying to read at Michigan wasn’t accurate,” Geschickter said. “We had a sensor go bad, a right rear hub go bad, so we want to get that extra reading at a high speed, low grip track like Kentucky so we know what direction to go in. Then (Allmendinger’s) next race will be Watkins Glen and Bobby will get back in after Kentucky.

“I think Bobby is in the mix that these are the best tracks to test someone else in, too.”

Labonte is scheduled to drive at Daytona – where he finished a season-high 15th in February – followed by New Hampshire and Indianapolis.

As of Sunday’s green flag at Sonoma, Labonte has a consecutive race starting streak of 704, second only to Jeff Gordon’s 705 straight races.

Although Labonte piloted the No. 51 Chevrolet last weekend at Michigan to a 43rd-place finish, Austin Dillon is currently scheduled to drive that car.

Send feedback on our
new story page