FOX Sports Exclusive
Cassill leaves Front Row days before 500
Changes are afoot for up-and-coming driver Landon Cassill.
Mere days after being tabbed to drive for the Front Row Motorsports No. 26 Ford in the Daytona 500 last week, Cassill resigned Thursday, citing an offer of a full-time ride with another organization.
Cassill, 22, raced for Phoenix Racing last season. His best finish was 12th at Michigan Speedway in June.
If the NASCAR tea leaves are true, Cassill may race for the new ownership group that purchased the assets from Red Bull Racing and has set up shop in the old Randy Moss/Morgan Dollar Motorsports building in Statesville, N.C.
FRM GM Jerry Friese said on Thursday there were “no hard feelings” towards Cassill and added, “We’re certainly not going to stand in his way for an opportunity that was more than we could offer him at this time.”
Friese said FRM intends to run three cars in the Daytona 500 and expects to name a driver that will join David Gilliland and David Ragan next week. The short list likely includes Travis Kvapil and Tony Raines. Both drivers have raced for the organization before.
Cassill, a former Hendrick Motorsports development driver, has 48 career Sprint Cup Series starts in two seasons.
Attempts to reach Cassill for comment were unsuccesful.
More Stories From Lee Spencer