NASCAR places Townley on probation
NASCAR officials have placed Camping World Truck Series driver John Wes Townley, who was arrested and charged with DUI earlier this year, on probation until Dec. 31.
NASCAR on FOX brings live coverage of the Sprint Cup race at Dover International Speedway on Sunday. The green flag drops at 1 p.m. ET, with coverage on FOX beginning at 12:30 p.m. ET.
NASCAR announced Thursday that the 22-year-old driver would be on probation and that, "in addition to the steps already underway by his team RAB Racing, Townley will be evaluated by a certified substance abuse professional at NASCAR’s discretion and will be subject to random alcohol and drug testing."
Townley's team had temporarily replaced the driver in its entry but announced on Friday that Townley will return to the truck next weekend.
"We have stood by our commitment to John Wes Townley, and supported him as he has worked through fulfilling what sanctions we've placed on him internally, as well as the process that NASCAR has instituted that allows him first, to return to the seat of our Toyota Tundra, and second, to compete on a weekly basis," said Robby Benton, owner of RAB Racing with Brack Maggard, in a team statement. "It was an unfortunate situation that occurred, and a mistake was made. We now look towards the future and building on a lesson learned. We will work closely with NASCAR and their programs as he returns to full-time competition in the Camping World Truck Series."
Townley offered an apology in the news release announcing his return.
"I want to send my deepest apologies to NASCAR, RAB Racing, my fans, sponsors, family, and friends," Townley said. "I made a terrible mistake, but I am now ready, having a renewed relationship with God in my life, to move forward making better decisions. Martinsville will be the start of a new chapter in my life, in more ways than one. My future actions will demonstrate where my heart is, and that I am on a mission."