Mars removes Busch from M&M's car
Mars Inc. is removing driver Kyle Busch from the No. 18 Toyota Camry M&M's car for the final two races of the season, according to the candy company.
The action is a result of an incident in last week's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Texas Motor Speedway, Mars said in a release Thursday. Busch intentionally wrecked fellow driver Ron Hornaday Jr. under caution early in the race last Friday. NASCAR parked Busch for the remainer of that weekend.
Mars is primary sponsor of the Joe Gibbs Racing No. 18 Toyota that Busch drives.
“As a proud member of the racing community, Mars and the M&M’S brand strongly support the partnership we have with Joe Gibbs Racing and are committed to NASCAR,” said Debra A. Sandler, chief consumer officer, Mars Chocolate North America. “Yet, Kyle’s recent actions are unacceptable and do not reflect the values of Mars. While we do not condone Kyle’s recent actions, we do believe that he has shown remorse and has expressed a desire to change. We believe our decision will have a positive impact on Kyle and will help him return next season ready to win.”
According to Mars and Joe Gibbs Racing, the car will not run with an M&M’s paint scheme until next year, at which time Busch will be the driver, with the expectation that no further incidents take place.
“We strongly support Mars’ decision,” said Joe Gibbs, owner of Joe Gibbs Racing. “This gives us all time to work together to foster a positive change where Kyle can continue racing in a way we can all be proud of.”