Stats and facts ahead of MotoGP race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
AUG 05, 2014 12:38p ET
Indianapolis will host the tenth of 18 races in the 2014 MotoGP season, with Marc Marquez having won last year's premier class race on his first attempt. However, there are numerous facts and figures available when it comes to MotoGP and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- This year's race at Indianapolis will be the seventh consecutive race at the venue, with the first having taken place in 2008.
- This will be the 26th occasion on which there has been a motorcycle GP held in the USA. The first two events in 1964 and 1965 were held at the famous Daytona circuit. 15 GP events have taken place at the Laguna Seca circuit, there have been six held previously at Indianapolis and two at Circuit of the Americas.
- Yamaha riders won the MotoGP races on the first two visits to Indianapolis, whereas Honda riders have won for the last four years.
- Nicky Hayden's third-place finish in 2009 is the only MotoGP podium by a Ducati rider at the Indianapolis circuit.
- In the first four appearances of MotoGP in Indianapolis, one American rider finished on the podium each year: Nicky Hayden was second in 2008 and third in 2009, whereas and Ben Spies was second in 2010 and third in 2011. In the 2012 MotoGP race at Indianapolis, the first American rider across the line was Colin Edwards in 13th place and last year it was Nicky Hayden, in ninth.
- Dani Pedrosa is the only rider to have had more than a single victory in the MotoGP class at the Indianapolis circuit (2010 and 2012).
- Jorge Lorenzo's five MotoGP podium finishes at the Indianapolis circuit is more than any other rider.
- Five of the riders who will be competing this year have taken part in all six previous MotoGP races that have been staged at the Indianapolis circuit: Jorge Lorenzo, Andrea Dovizioso, Colin Edwards, Valentino Rossi and Dani Pedrosa.
Want to take your MotoGP viewing experience to the next level?
The MotoGP Live Experience application is also the only official app which provides Live Audio Commentary, Live Timing and Live 3D Tracking of each practice, qualifying session and race of the 2014 MotoGP World Championship – all available in real-time via your mobile or tablet device.