MotoGP: Lorenzo and Yamaha confirm new agreement

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP will see Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo continue as its rider lineup for 2015 and 2016.

Jorge Lorenzo of Spain leads teammate Valentino Rossi of Italy during the MotoGP of Germany Free Practice at Sachsenring Circuit on July 11, 2014.

Mirco Lazzari gp / Getty Images Europe

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP rider Jorge Lorenzo will continue on with the Factory Yamaha team for two more years, it was announced Thursday in a press release by the team.

This means that the rider lineups for the dominant Repsol Honda and Movistar Yamaha teams we have seen from 2013 and 2014 will continue in 2015 and 2016, with Marc Marquez (Honda), Dani Pedrosa (Honda), Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) and now Lorenzo all having confirmed two-year extensions.

"I am very happy to finally be able to make this announcement," said Lorenzo. "It is a relief to be able to now completely focus on the remainder of the 2014 season in the knowledge that our relationship will continue for the next two seasons.

"It has always been my wish to continue my career with Yamaha; I strongly believe we can fight for a third title together."

Lorenzo has been with Yamaha since he entered the premiere division of MotoGP in 2008, winning championships for the team in 2010 and 2012.

"I am very happy we have reached an agreement for Jorge to continue as a Movistar Yamaha MotoGP rider," said Lin Jarvis, the Managing Director for Yamaha Motor Racing. "The 2014 season has been a tough one for Jorge so far but I am hoping that the confirmation of this new agreement will give him the peace of mind to be able to focus 100 percent of his energy on the remaining races."

Jorge Lorenzo got off to a very difficult to the start of the 2014 MotoGP season, crashing out from the lead on the opening lap at Qatar and then jumping the start at the next round at the Circuit of the Americas. However, since then the Spaniard has been able to rally his way back up towards fifth in the points.

"This season has been very challenging after a difficult start," admitted Lorenzo, "however, we will continue to take it race by race, giving 100 percent until Valencia.

"I want to thank Yamaha for their continued belief in me and all the Yamaha fans around the world who continue to support me. After the summer break, I'm excited to be back at Indy with my team and focused again on racing."


Want to take your MotoGP viewing experience to the next level?

The MotoGP Videopass allows you to watch all three MotoGP categories live and OnDemand from the comfort of your own home or on the go via your tablet or preferred mobile device. In addition, you can enjoy more than 22,000 videos from 1992 to the present day including full races, interviews, summaries, reports and much more.

Click here to access MotoGP's Videopass for half the regular price for the rest of 2014.


Send feedback on our
new story page