BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
APR 25, 2014 12:08p ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
- EVANSTON, Ill. - Northwestern football players vote on whether to form the nation's first union for college athletes - a decision that could shake American amateur sports.
- MESA, Ariz. - Michael Phelps competes in the second event of his comeback when he races in the 50-meter freestyle. But he'll swim the heat using the butterfly to get extra practice.
- NEW YORK - The NBA will discuss after the season what other things referees can look at on instant replay. The league already has had two key plays in the playoffs that were clearly wrong.
- Three NHL playoff games: N.Y. Rangers at Philadelphia (7 p.m.); Chicago at St. Louis (8 p.m.); and Dallas at Anaheim (10:30 p.m.).
- AVONDALE, La. - Ben Martin, coming off a 62 in the opening round, leads by two strokes entering the second round of the Zurich Classic. Martin has yet to win on the PGA Tour.
- DALY CITY, Calif. - The Swinging Skirts LPGA Classic resumes with 24 golfers needing to complete a first round delayed because of fog. France's Karine Icher had a 66 Thursday.
- ASHBURN, Va. - Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III discusses his offseason and new coach Jay Gruden in an interview at Redskins Park.
- RICHMOND, Va. - Richard Petty is back at a NASCAR track, one month after the death of his wife. The seven-time champion says he's now ''learning to live all over again.''
- BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Juan Pablo Montoya looks for a strong encore after finishing fourth at Long Beach - his best result since jumping from NASCAR to IndyCar.
- Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes expects complaints about the city's preparations for the 2016 Olympics, but he guarantees the work will be finished in time.
- LONDON - Two months after the closing ceremony, the Sochi Olympics breaks a Winter Games record when a Latvian hockey player becomes the eighth athlete disqualified for doping.
- BOSTON - Boston Marathon officials say there's little they can do to stop ''bandits'' - unregistered runners who join the race. Several runners ran Monday with counterfeit bibs.
- DES MOINES, Iowa - Lolo Jones returns to the hurdles at the Drake Relays - but in the shuttle relay, not the 100 meters. LaShawn Merritt leads the field in the men's 400.
- KATMANDU, Nepal - With Mount Everest's climbing season in disarray, the Sherpa guides who abandoned the mountain after a deadly avalanche say they will struggle to make ends meet.