Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– HOUSTON – Top-seeded Duke and its three freshman starters play Utah for a spot in the South Regional final. The Utes are in the Sweet 16 three years after a six-win season. Game starts 9:45 p.m.
– Three other Sweet 16 games: UCLA vs. Gonzaga (7:15 p.m.) at Houston; and N.C. State vs. Louisville (7:37 p.m.) and Michigan State vs. Oklahoma (10:07 p.m.) at Syracuse, New York.
– Previews on Saturday’s two regional finals: Wisconsin vs. Arizona at Los Angeles; Notre Dame vs. Kentucky at Cleveland.
– Four Sweet 16 women’s games: Iowa-Baylor (7:30 p.m.) and Notre Dame-Stanford (10 p.m.) at Oklahoma City; South Carolina-North Carolina (7 p.m.), Arizona St.-Florida St. (9:30 p.m.) at Greensboro, North Carolina.
– SAN FRANCISCO – Sluggers who came of age in the days of 50, 60 and 70 home-run seasons have been forced to recalibrate what’s a successful power season. They are discovering that 30 is the new 40.
– MEMPHIS, Tenn. – The Golden State Warriors play the Memphis Grizzlies in a game between the Western Conference’s top teams and two of the NBA’s three teams with 50 or more wins. Game starts 8 p.m.
– SAN ANTONIO – Charley Hoffman has the lead going into the second round of the Texas Open. Aaron Baddeley is a stroke behind.
– CARLSBAD, Calif. – Mirim Lee tries to build on her lead in the Kia Classic, with Yani Tseng and top-ranked Lydia Ko on the star-packed leaderboard.
– ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – After more than six months off, IndyCar is back in action on the streets of St. Petersburg. The series has a new champion in Will Power and a new look for its cars.
– MARTINSVILLE, Va. – NASCAR makes its first of two visits to Martinsville Speedway, where rain and cold make it unlikely there will be any action on the track until the weekend.
– SEPANG, Malaysia – Mercedes mastered Formula One last year. The team swept to a 1-2 finish in this year’s season opener in Australia and is fully expected to do so again at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
– HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – Upstart is the favorite heading into Saturday’s Florida Derby, perhaps the biggest prep yet this year on the Kentucky Derby trail.
– British boxer Kell Brook returns to the ring in northern England on Saturday, defending his welterweight title six months after he was knifed in an attack on the Spanish island of Tenerife.