Mets: David Wright heading for check-up on neck

The Mets’ captain is in the middle of a long recovery process

Mets third baseman David Wright traveled to California on Tuesday for a check-up with Dr. Robert Watkins, according to Jon Heyman.

Wright, who underwent season-ending neck surgery in June, is hoping to get cleared for baseball activity or receive a schedule of when he can resume.

Wright told Heyman via email that Tuesday’s visit is a routine checkup.

The 33-year-old Wright has recently been with the Mets both at home and on the road.

Before undergoing fusion surgery for the herniated disc in his neck, Wright hit .226/.350/.438 with seven home runs in 37 games.

Wright is under contract through 2020 and is owed $67 million.


Wright’s season ending in June was heartbreaking for both him and the fans, but the recovery has been smooth so far.

While it may not be rational to expect Wright to play for the duration of his contract, he showed before his injury this year that he was still capable of being productive.

Wright’s defense at third base — particularly his arm — is a major concern, so it would be wise for him to start working out at first base as soon as he’s cleared physically.

The Mets will likely tender Lucas Duda a contract after the season, but having Wright as a hedge there makes sense.

Heading into 2017, the Mets will have Jose Reyes (their current third baseman) under team control at the league minimum. Add Wilmer Flores to the mix and the Mets have some solid options at third base.

But Mets fans should want David Wright to return and be productive, even if it means a position switch.

Wright stuck with this team through the dark ages that were 2009 to 2014 and he deserves to experience the resurgence — not from the dugout, but from the field.

Get well soon, David!

,

The Mets’ captain is in the middle of a long recovery process

Mets third baseman David Wright traveled to California on Tuesday for a check-up with Dr. Robert Watkins, according to Jon Heyman.

Wright, who underwent season-ending neck surgery in June, is hoping to get cleared for baseball activity or receive a schedule of when he can resume.

Wright told Heyman via email that Tuesday’s visit is a routine checkup.

The 33-year-old Wright has recently been with the Mets both at home and on the road.

Before undergoing fusion surgery for the herniated disc in his neck, Wright hit .226/.350/.438 with seven home runs in 37 games.

Wright is under contract through 2020 and is owed $67 million.


Wright’s season ending in June was heartbreaking for both him and the fans, but the recovery has been smooth so far.

While it may not be rational to expect Wright to play for the duration of his contract, he showed before his injury this year that he was still capable of being productive.

Wright’s defense at third base — particularly his arm — is a major concern, so it would be wise for him to start working out at first base as soon as he’s cleared physically.

The Mets will likely tender Lucas Duda a contract after the season, but having Wright as a hedge there makes sense.

Heading into 2017, the Mets will have Jose Reyes (their current third baseman) under team control at the league minimum. Add Wilmer Flores to the mix and the Mets have some solid options at third base.

But Mets fans should want David Wright to return and be productive, even if it means a position switch.

Wright stuck with this team through the dark ages that were 2009 to 2014 and he deserves to experience the resurgence — not from the dugout, but from the field.

Get well soon, David!

This article originally appeared on