Report: Ortiz to stay with Red Sox
Designated hitter David Ortiz intends to accept the offer of arbitration from the Boston Red Sox and stay with the team for at least one more season, the Boston Herald reported Tuesday, citing a source.
The decision, which needs to be made before Wednesday's 11:59 p.m. ET deadline, is crucial to the seven-time All-Star signing a one-year extension worth more than his $12.5 million salary from last season.
Ortiz, 36, had been hoping for a multi-year deal but that appears unlikely, the source said.
Earlier Tuesday, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he was not aware of any resolution to the situation.
"[We] remain hopeful he's on the team in 2012," Cherington said. "That's been our position all along. We haven't agreed to anything yet."
Ortiz, a two-time World Series champion with the Red Sox and the 2004 American League Championship Series MVP, hit .309 last season with 29 homers and 96 RBI.