Teahen, White Sox agree on $14M, 3-year deal
Third baseman Mark Teahen agreed Tuesday to a $14 million, three-year deal with the Chicago White Sox and avoided arbitration.
Acquired from Kansas City on Nov. 6, Teahen will earn $3.75 million next year, $4.75 million in 2011 and $5.5 million in 2012. He had been eligible for free agency after the 2011 season.
``It's nice to have the contract kind of worked out and not have to worry about the arbitration process, which can be strenuous,'' Teahen said.
``They see me as part of the future. It's nice to have it all wrapped up and I can focus on baseball, and I'm looking forward to having the comfort of playing with a guaranteed contract, as well.''
Teahen batted .271 with a career-high 34 doubles, 12 home runs and 50 RBIs in 144 games with the Royals last season. He made 99 starts at third base, 31 in right field and three at second.
When Teahen was acquired in a trade for infielders Chris Getz and Josh Fields, White Sox general manager Ken Williams said he would play third base, meaning last year's rookie standout, Gordon Beckham, would move to second.
``I'm under the assumption I'll be the third baseman for all three of those years,'' said Teahen, acknowledging that he bounced around to different positions with the Royals.
``If that comes up, that comes up,'' he said. ``But at this point I'm a third baseman this year and that's my focus. Really it was about getting the security and I know I'll be there for three years. And getting the security for my family, as well.''
The 28-year-old Teahen is a .269 career hitter with 59 homers and 293 RBIs with the Royals from 2005-09.
He had some back problems in the final month last season but said he has been undergoing physical therapy to keep it strong this offseason.
The White Sox have had a relatively busy offseason. In addition to trading for Teahen, they re-signed utility man Mark Kotsay and signed veteran free agents Omar Vizquel and Andruw Jones.