Essential truths we will learn before the non-waiver trade deadline at 4 p.m. ET on Thursday:
* Whether the Rays receive a good enough offer to justify moving David Price.
* If the Dodgers truly are serious about keeping top prospects Joc Pederson, Corey Seager and Julio Urias.
* What the Cardinals REALLY think of Oscar Taveras.
* How far the Yankees will go to reach the playoffs in Derek Jeter's farewell.
* How far the Red Sox will go to tear down the team that won last year's World Series.
* Whether Athletics general manager Billy Beane can do it AGAIN.
* How well Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. can climb out of a box.
* If Tony La Russa is making a difference with the Diamondbacks.
* Whether the Pirates finally are all-in.
* Which NL East contender -- the Nationals, Braves and yes, the Marlins -- will decide most dramatically, "We're not good enough."
* Whether the Tigers can get another reliever.
* How rival clubs value White Sox trade candidates John Danks, Gordon Beckham, Dayan Viciedo and Adam Dunn.
* If Padres ownership is addicted to trades or willing to let the next GM move Ian Kennedy and Joaquin Benoit.
* How many holes the Giants can address at once.
* Which general manager will shock us all.