Cards sign five more draft picks
JUN 14, 2013 6:04p ET
The draft picks who signed:
* Michael Mayers, pitcher (third round, University of Mississippi)
* James Bosco, outfielder (13th round, Menlo College)
* Michael Brookshire, pitcher (20th round, Belmont University)
* Alex DeLeon, catcher (23rd round, University of Kansas)
* Pitcher Kyle Webb (32nd round, Elon University)
"We are thrilled to get all of these players signed and into a Cardinals uniform," Cardinals scouting director Dan Kantrovitz said.
"Mayers indicated to us that he wanted to get started quickly and was eager to get going. He will report to the Gulf Coast League, where we can monitor his innings and allow our player development staff to begin working with him.
"Bosco has a chance to be an electric player and we are excited that he is going to begin his career for the State College Spikes."
The undrafted free agent signees:
* Kyle Grana, right-handed pitcher from St. Louis (Bellarmine University, senior)
* Brian Vigo-Suarez, outfielder (University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, senior).
"The non-drafted free agents are essential for rounding out our minor league rosters as well as providing another avenue to add players who we believe have a chance to reach the major leagues," Kantrovitz said. “In most cases, the non-drafted free agents are players we would have drafted had there been more than 40 rounds.
"Although these players do not generally get a lot of publicity, we use a very similar decision-making process with them as we do with drafted players. Often times, we have multiple amateur scouting reports on each of them."