Facts and figures on Chiefs-Titans matchup
OCT 03, 2013 10:02a ET
* The Chiefs throttled the Giants, 31-7, last Sunday in Kansas City. The win gave the Chiefs a 4-0 record, the third such start in franchise history (also 2003 and 1996). In addition, coach Andy Reid became the fourth head coach in NFL history to win his first four games with a team that lost at least 10 games the previous season.
* The Titans destroyed the New York Jets, 38-13, at home in Week 4. The 3-1 Titans extended their streak of games with no turnovers, joining the 1995 Rams as the only teams since 1950 with zero turnovers through four games to start a season.
* By starting 4-0 in 2013, Alex Smith became the first Chiefs quarterback to win his first four starts for the team since Joe Montana did so in 1993.
* Tennessee's quarterback, Jake Locker, was injured in Sunday's win over the Jets (hip strain). With Locker out, Ryan Fitzpatrick will get the start. From 2010-12, Fitzpatrick, while with the Bills, was third in the AFC in passing TDs (71). However, over that same period, Fitzpatrick had 54 interceptions, the most among AFC quarterbacks.
* Since 2009, Tennessee's Chris Johnson (87.3) and Kansas City's Jamaal Charles (84.3) are third and fifth, respectively, in average rush yards per game. (minimum 40 games). However, both are putting up career-worst numbers in rush yards per attempt in 2013 (Johnson -- 3.3, Charles -- 4.1).
* Tennessee's Alterraun Verner has been extremely active for the Titans. Verner is tied for the league lead in interceptions with four (also Aqib Talib, Patriots, and Kiko Alonso, Bills), tied for the league lead in passes defensed with eight (also Tony Carter, Broncos), and is tied for the league lead in opponent fumbles recovered with two (tied with five others).
* The Kansas City defense is leading the league in sacks with 18 (Tennessee is tied for third with 14), and linebacker Justin Houston is a big reason why. Houston is tied for the league lead with 7 1/2 sacks in 2013 ( Robert Mathis, Colts).
-- STATS LLC