Sports Page Worth a Quick Read Saturday
He was the chalk last year when second behind a sharp Multiple Choice. In his first start for Allen Jerkens, the 5-year-old horse scored a 12-1 upset in the Meadowlands Cup (gr. II) going 1 1/8 mile. He must cut back a quarter-mile Saturday.
"I don't think that will bother him that much," Jerkens said. "At Belmont, you can get moving on the turn. He's been sharp. The next one's a mile (Cigar Mile), so I thought if I sprinted him, it would keep him sharp for that race."
Ramon Dominguez, aboard for the Meadowlands Cup tally, will be in town to ride Bowman's Band Saturday. Bowman's Band will tote high weight of 120 pounds in the 10-horse field.
Trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. has entered both Aggadan and Speed Hunter in the Sport Page, but said he is likely to wait for the De Francis Memorial Dash (gr. I) at Laurel on Nov. 15 with Aggadan.
Speed Hunter was claimed for $100,000 by Sullivan Lane Stable out of an Aug. 8 race at Saratoga. Stakes placed and only 4 years old, Speed Hunter looked like a solid claim, even for the lofty price.
"We liked his consistency and he had beaten Aggadan last year," Dutrow responded when asked about the decision to make the claim.
Dutrow brought Speed Hunter back for a $56,000 allowance on Sept. 11, when he finished a well-beaten fifth behind Shake You Down, who was prepping for the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I).
"I never should have run him in that race," Dutrow said. "It was a bad move. He had a bruise that was tough to see and it worked its way out in the race. I should have known something was up because he didn't breeze well before the race."
According to Dutrow, the bruise has healed and he expects to see the real Speed Hunter Saturday.
"He's much happier at Aqueduct than he was at Saratoga," Dutrow said. "He's breezed well since the race and I'll blow him out Saturday morning."
Other top contenders for the Sport Page include Bishop Court Hill, Highway Prospector, Outstander, State City and Voodoo.
$100,000 Sport Page Handicap (gr. III), 3 & up, 7 furlongs
PP. HORSE, TRAINER, JOCKEY, WGT.
1. Highway Prospector, Mark Shuman, Shaun Bridgmohan, 114
2. Bowman's Band, H. Allen Jerkens, Ramon Dominguez, 120
3. Outstander, Rodney Jenkins, Jozbin Santana, 116
4. Aggadan, Richard Dutrow Jr., Javier Castellano, 119
5. Bishop Court Hill, Todd Pletcher, Richard Migliore, 112
6. Pinch Hitter, John Terranova II, Pedro Cotto, 111
7. Speed Hunter, Richard Dutrow Jr., Norberto Arroyo Jr., 112
8. Voodoo, Jimmy Jerkens, Jorge Chavez, 114
9. Turn Back the Time, Laurie LaFavers, Pablo Fragoso, 110
10. State City, Tom Albertrani, Aaron Gryder, 118