FOX Sports Exclusive
Report of $96M Beltre deal premature
The Texas Rangers still are talking with Adrian Beltre but haven’t reached an agreement with him, a major-league source said Sunday.
PioDeportes.com, a website based in Beltre’s native Dominican Republic, reported Sunday morning that the free-agent third baseman had agreed to a six-year, $96 million deal with the Rangers.
Later Sunday, ESPNdeportes.com reported that Beltre and the Rangers were close to a deal and cited one source saying the contract will probably be for five years with an option for 2016.
The Rangers have pursued Beltre for weeks, but he isn’t an easy fit for their roster. Michael Young, the team’s popular third baseman, would need to be traded or moved to designated hitter in order to accommodate Beltre.
The Colorado Rockies emerged as the most serious suitor when Young became available on the trade market during the winter meetings last month. But the Rockies and Rangers have not had serious talks about Young within the past week, a major-league source told FOXSports.com on Sunday evening.
Beltre’s agent, Scott Boras, is seeking a contract worth at least $85 million over five years or more, rival executives say.
The Los Angeles Angels, the Rangers’ rival in the American League West, had been viewed by many in the industry as the leading candidate to sign Beltre. The Oakland A’s, the most active AL West team this offseason, have pulled their latest offer to Beltre.
More Stories From Jon Paul Morosi