BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Aug 17, 2014 at 12:02p ET
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Sunday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. EDT:
- The Associated Press announces its preseason college football rankings. Poll released about 2 p.m.
- PITTSFORD, N.Y. - Brittany Lincicome leads Inbee Park and Suzann Pettersen by a shot heading into the final round of the LPGA Championship. This could be the fourth straight LPGA major won by an American.
- GREENSBORO, N.C. - Nick Watney is in front by one stroke entering the last round of the Wyndham Championship. Thirteen players are within three strokes of the lead.
- BROOKLYN, Mich. - Jeff Gordon is on the pole in the Sprint Cup race at Michigan. Tony Stewart is missing a second straight race after his car struck and killed a driver last weekend. Race starts 1 p.m.
- WEST ALLIS, Wis. - Points leader Will Power has the pole position for the Milwaukee Mile, the start of a three-week stretch to end the IndyCar season. Race starts 3:45 p.m.
- ST. LOUIS - Adam Wainwright goes for his 15th win when the Cardinals face the San Diego Padres. St. Louis trails first-place Milwaukee by three games in the NL Central. Game starts 2:15 p.m.
- MASON, Ohio - Roger Federer tries for his sixth title in Cincinnati while Serena Williams - back in the finals for the second straight year - aims for her first. Women's final starts 2 p.m., followed by men's.
- Two NFL exhibition games: Denver at San Francisco (4 p.m.) and Kansas City at Carolina (8 p.m.).
- Four Little League World Series games at South Williamsport, Pa.: South Korea-Puerto Rico (noon); Las Vegas-Chicago (2 p.m.); Mexico-Japan (5 p.m.); Pearland (Texas)-Philadelphia (7 p.m.).
- LONDON - Defending champion Manchester City plays its Premier League opener at Newcastle. Liverpool begins its post-Luis Suarez era by defeating Southampton 2-1.