FIFA criticizes Recife over Fan Fest
SAO PAULO (AP)
WORLD CUP NEWS
- Fans injured in Brazil shooting
- Qatar World Cup to be moved
- Confusion over World Cup air travel
- Blatter takes swipe at Brazil prep
- Special riot police team created
- Stadium worker falls to his death
- Two die as stadium collapses
- Hotels asked to explain price hikes
- Pre-World Cup event called off
- Protesters disrupt FIFA's Brazil visit
- FIFA sets 2014 World Cup ticket prices
- Brazil defends right to host World Cup
- Blatter: Brazil WC might be mistake
FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke has criticized the decision of a Brazilian host city to cancel its Fan Fest, saying the event which allows thousands of fans to watch games for free on large screens is an important part of the World Cup.
Valcke made his comment on Sunday after the northeastern city of Recife said it will not spend public money on a Fan Fest, which allows fans who were unable to purchase tickets to watch matches in public areas.
Valcke says it is ''a mistake'' not to organize Fan Fests.
The secretary general began an inspection tour of a number of host cities on Sunday, stopping first in the jungle city of Manaus - which has confirmed a Fan Fest for about 35,000 people on match days.