FIFA announces World Cup pots
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil (AP)
WORLD CUP NEWS
- Fans injured in Brazil shooting
- Qatar World Cup to be moved
- Confusion over World Cup air travel
- Blatter takes swipe at Brazil prep
- Special riot police team created
- Stadium worker falls to his death
- Two die as stadium collapses
- Hotels asked to explain price hikes
- Pre-World Cup event called off
- Protesters disrupt FIFA's Brazil visit
- FIFA sets 2014 World Cup ticket prices
- Brazil defends right to host World Cup
- Blatter: Brazil WC might be mistake
England will be among an unseeded pot of nine European countries for Friday's draw for the 2014 World Cup finals.
FIFA has announced the procedure of the draw and as expected the eight seeded teams, who will be kept apart for the group stage, have been chosen according to October's world rankings.
The draw will be organized so that there will be no more than two European teams in any group of four countries, and all the South American teams will be kept apart.
It means England will have to face one of the top seeds - Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Spain, Germany, Belgium and Switzerland - who are in Pot 1. The countries in Pot 2 are the unseeded South American countries and the qualifiers from Africa: Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Ghana and Nigeria.
Pot 3 is made up of the teams from Asia and and north and central America: Australia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Iran, Japan, Korea Republic, Mexico, USA. In Pot 4 there are nine unseeded European teams: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia.
In order to make the number in each pot equal, at the start of the draw one of the nine European teams will be drawn into Pot 2, and will definitely face one of the seeded South American sides.
World Cup Pots:
Pot 1: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, Germany , Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay
Pot 2: Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Ecuador (plus one currently in Pot 4)
Pot 3: Australia, Iran, Japan, Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, USA
Pot 4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia (one team will be drawn into Pot 2)