World Cup

Rousseff promises safety at World Cup

Dilma Rousseff
Brazil's Dilma Rousseff promises a safe World Cup this summer.
Share This Story

   
 

BRASILIA, Brazil (AP)

President Dilma Rousseff says Brazil's armed forces could be called on to contain possible violent protests during the upcoming World Cup.

Speaking to reporters from the northeastern state of Alagoas, Rousseff said federal law enforcement officers will be used to beef up local police forces in the 12 cities where World Cup games will be played and that the equivalent of $791 million is being spent to this end.

''And if necessary we will also mobilize the armed forces,'' she added.

''We will guarantee the security of fans, tourists, teams and the chiefs-of-state that will visit us. I am certain we will host the cup of cups,'' Rousseff said.

The fears of violence during the World Cup stem from last June's protests that erupted around Brazil against bus fare hikes, corruption, poor public services and the billions of dollars being spent on the World Cup and 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

Last month, the Rio de Janeiro state government announced that a special police battalion had been created to help control violent demonstrations expected during the World Cup and other large sporting and cultural events held in public venues.

The battalion is composed of about 500 specially trained officers recruited from police units statewide.

Rio's Maracana stadium will host seven World Cup games including the July 13 final.

Earlier Wednesday, FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke insisted that cities hosting World Cup games must pay for the Fan Fests that allow fans without tickets to watch matches on large screens in public areas.

Speaking in the city of Florianopolis, Valcke said some cities were concerned about the Fan Fests as they could be an easy target for anti-government demonstrators who are against the billions being spent on the World Cup. He added that FIFA was open to changes because of security concerns.

''We are always discussing. We are open. Following what happened last June with the demonstrations, and for security issues, we are always open to move from the first location we have agreed on to the next location which is safer,'' he said. ''We agreed that in Brasilia the Fan Fest will not be located where we were thinking but in a new place.''

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Videos

Nigeria reinstated by FIFA Posted: Jul 18, 2014
The Nigerian FA have been cleared by FIFA after being suspended for governmental...

Lahm retires from German national team Posted: Jul 18, 2014
World Cup champion Philipp Lahm has retired from the German national team.

Germany top FIFA rankings after winning World Cup Posted: Jul 17, 2014
Germany's fourth World Cup win has moved them to the top of FIFA's world ranking...

Pele: World Cup exit 'was a disaster' Posted: Jul 16, 2014
Brazilian legend Pele says his national team's recent losses were disastrous and...

Messi's legacy tarnished? Posted: Jul 14, 2014
Warren Barton discusses Lionel Messi's legacy after a lackluster performance in ...

More than Sports on MSN