Ivory Coast to announce new coach by next week
Ivory Coast has given up hope of keeping Sven-Goran Eriksson as coach, and the president of the country's governing body says a replacement will be announced by next week.
- Memorial set up for Paul the Octopus
- Bin Hammam rubbishes winter idea
- Corruption duo set to appeal FIFA ban
- Ex-Nigeria star takes own life in Texas
- Sepp Blatter endorses winter World Cup
- FIFA looks at golden goal rule again
- AFC chief backs call for winter 2022 WC
- U.S. hoping for World Cup bid spark
Sory Diabate says the federation wanted Eriksson to continue even after an unsuccessful World Cup, but financial negotiations to renew his contract broke down.
In an interview posted on the federation website, Diabate said a new coach will be announced before an Aug. 10 exhibition against Italy in London.
Diabate said that "indeed, Eriksson will not be the next coach of the Elephants. He was the very first choice, but the negotiations did not succeed."
Eriksson's contract expired after the World Cup, where Ivory Coast was eliminated in the first round.