WORLD CUP

Winter 2022 World Cup gains support

Premier League Chairman Sir Dave Richards
FA Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards supports a winter World Cup tournament.
Share This Story

   
 

The Premier League's opposition to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar being switched to the winter appears increasingly isolated after its outgoing chairman Sir Dave Richards and Britain's FIFA vice president backed such a move.

The Premier League reiterated its strong opposition in a statement but its stance was undermined by Richards, who admitted the tournament cannot be staged in the summer due to the heat.

Jim Boyce, Britain's FIFA vice-president from Northern Ireland, has now backed UEFA president Michel Platini's call for the tournament to be held during the winter.

Richards, speaking to Sky Sports News at the Securing Sport conference in Qatar, said: "I think they will play (the World Cup) at a time that is proper for football but they will have to speak to the leagues in Europe.

"They will have to agree proper times when we can start and finish. At the moment it has a tremendous amount of implications for Europe. For us, at this minute, the answer is no. But, if we take a proper view, we have to find a way to have a winter spell where we don't play and I think common sense will prevail.

"We've got FIFA now saying that medical people are saying that they can't play in Qatar in the summer because of the heat, which is probably right. I think over the next few years, things will change and they will come to a compromise."

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has always been fiercely opposed to any move to disrupt the domestic season and that position remains.

A Premier League spokesman said: "The Premier League's view remains unchanged. We are opposed to the concept of a winter World Cup for very obvious practical reasons that would impact on all of European domestic football."

Boyce believes the searing heat of July in Qatar, where temperatures often reach more than 45 degrees Centigrade, will be too much for players and spectators even with the promise of air-conditioned stadiums.

Boyce told the Press Association: "I was not part of the process that gave the World Cup to Qatar, but my feeling is that common sense should prevail. The World Cup is the greatest event in football and from a spectator point of view it has to be played at a time of year when people can enjoy it in comfort.

"People I know who live in Qatar say it would be very uncomfortable for the fans. There is also a medical and health concern for both players and spectators and if it is going to be safer to play it in January instead of July then I would be in favor of that."

Boyce insisted that, given enough notice, it should not caused too much disruption.

He added: "Many other countries already have a winter break so for them it should not be too problematic.

"England is probably the main country where there is no winter break but I believe that even there if they are given enough notice then for just one season it should be possible."

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said earlier this month that the 2022 World Cup could be moved to the winter if research shows holding the tournament in the summer heat would be dangerous for players.

COUNTDOWN BEGINS!

Ready for the World Cup? So are we. Review the preparations before Brazil's biggest party. 

Michel D'Hooghe, the chairman of FIFA's medical committee, has also backed the move to play it in the winter. The international calendar has yet to be fixed beyond 2018, so there is scope for the world governing body to allow the change.

Meanwhile, FIFA's executive committee are due to hear tomorrow or Thursday the outcome of an ethics committee investigation into the ISL scandal. The case, involving the payment of millions of pounds in bribes to senior FIFA members by now defunct marketing partners ISL, has been scrutinized by FIFA ethics committee investigator Michael J Garcia.

Wednesday's meeting will be the first between Sepp Blatter and Platini since the FIFA president made critical remarks about UEFA's decision to play Euro 2020 across the continent rather than in one country. Blatter also made comments about Platini's opposition to goal-line technology in an interview with Spanish sports daily AS.

Blatter said: "It's not UEFA, it's Platini who doesn't want it. Only Platini. The federations, the leagues, the referees, the player, they all want goal-line technology. If Platini doesn't want it, it's a personal reason, but it will happen."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Headlines