World

Bob Bradley committed to Egyptian post

Bradley: "I want to do whatever I can in my responsibilities to help with this process.''
Share This Story

   
 

LONDON (AP)

TRAGEDY IN EGYPT

Football violence rears its ugly head in Egypt. Here's a look at the tragedy from the soccer stadium in Port Said.

Bob Bradley insisted Monday that he is ''totally committed'' to coaching Egypt's national soccer team despite the turmoil in the country following the riot at a game last week that left more than 70 dead.

The soccer federation president who hired Bradley last year resigned last weekend along with his board after they had already been dismissed by the prime minister in the aftermath of Wednesday's rampage.

But Bradley, the former U.S. national team coach, is sure that he will lead Egypt into African Cup of Nations qualifying.

''I'm totally committed,'' Bradley told broadcaster Al-Jazeera according to an e-mailed transcript. ''When a tragedy like this occurs it's important that people can come together and can be strong and in my role as coach of the national team I want to do whatever I can in my responsibilities to help with this process.''

The deadliest soccer stadium disaster since 1996 unfolded in the Mediterranean city of Port Said following Al-Masry's league match against Cairo-based Al-Ahly, with fans crushed to death while others were fatally stabbed or suffocated in a stampede.

Protesters accused the police of doing nothing to stop the violence and that set off a new cycle of clashes against Egypt's military rulers that has killed 13 people in five days.

''This is a much deeper situation than football - really not the case of football fan violence - and I think it is important for people around the world to understand that,'' Bradley said. ''Obviously there is a lot going on in Egypt at this time, events after the revolution, and the football community is connected with all that and certainly some of the Ultras from different clubs especially Al-Ahly.

''These young people have been responsible for trying to bring about change in the country and these are people that have a passion for Egypt and with it an incredible passion for Egyptian football and their club.''

Al-Ahly players Mohamed Aboutrika, Emad Moteab and Mohamed Barakat - all on the Egypt national team - announced they are retiring from soccer after witnessing the violence last week.

And Bradley is unsure if Egypt's 2013 African Cup of Nations qualifier will go ahead in the Central African Republic as planned on Feb. 29.

''Quite clearly given the events, it will take these players some time to try to move forward,'' Bradley said. ''With it, there are enough questions about when the league will begin again or whether or not games will be played with fans or without.''

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by