Salt Lake City ref in critical condition

Salt Lake Valley Juvenile Detention Center
The youth is being held at Salt Lake Valley Juvenile Detention Center.
Share This Story



fans gone wild


Some people just can't enjoy a game without getting involved.

A Salt Lake City man who was serving as a referee in a recreational soccer game in Taylorsville is in a critical condition after being punched by a teenager.

The 17-year-old was booked into a juvenile detention center on suspicion of aggravated assault, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. Those charges could be amplified if the 46-year-old referee's condition worsens.

The incident happened in a flash during a soccer game Saturday at a field at Eisenhower Junior High School in Taylorsville, a Salt Lake City suburb.

The referee called a foul on the player and issued him a yellow card, triggering the player to turn and punch him, authorities said. At first, it appeared the referee just had minor injuries from the single blow.

When the man was taken to a hospital, however, doctors discovered serious internal head injuries, Hoyal said. He's been in critical condition since Saturday.

There was no buildup to the incident or previous exchange of words between the referee and player, Hoyal said.

''It was almost an instinctive reaction,'' Hoyal said.

The player was larger than the referee, Hoyal said, but he declined to give specifics about his height and weight.

By the time police arrived at the field, the teenager had left. Authorities investigated the incident over the weekend and arrested the teen Monday. He was in the Salt Lake Valley Juvenile Detention Center, and his name wasn't released because he's a minor.

The referee's name also was withheld. His family has declined media requests for interviews.

The man did not appear to be a licensed referee. The game was part of a ''rogue league'' unaffiliated with the popular Utah Youth Soccer Association or any city or town recreation department, association CEO Andrew Hiatt said. The association has 50,000 youth players and 15,000 coaches statewide.

In the state association, any player or coach who puts a finger on a referee faces immediate suspension. Players and coaches also sign a code of ethics.

''To see something like this is not what we are looking for,'' Hiatt said. ''It's horrible. Hopefully we use this as teaching moment to continue to push sportsmanship.''

This isn't the first time an athlete has hurt a referee.

In December, a 41-year-old Dutch man working as a linesman in a youth soccer game in the Netherlands died after he was kicked and beaten by a group of 15- and 16-year-old players. Three teenagers were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, and four more later were detained on suspicion of involvement in the attack.

Youth players are mimicking what they see from parents and professional players who often fail to control their emotions and berate referees, said EJ Reyes, president of the Taylorsville Youth Soccer League, one of 46 clubs statewide affiliated with the Utah Youth Soccer Association.

Reyes recently took a group of his players to a Real Salt Lake reserve league game in which a fight broke out. It set an awful example for the impressionable kids who saw it close-up, he said.

Reyes noted parents increasingly are becoming disrespectful toward referees, as well.

''The kids are reciprocating what they see,'' he said.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

More than Sports on MSN