Soccer

Figueredo replaces Leoz as president

Eugenio Figueredo has been appointed as CONMEBOL president.
Share This Story

   
 

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP)

Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay officially took over as the president of the governing body of South American football on Tuesday, replacing Nicolas Leoz who resigned last week citing declining health.

HEAR US OUT!

FOX Soccer's Blog offers unique coverage of the world game. Join us.

Figueredo, 81, was previously CONMEBOL's vice president but had been working in the post since Leoz's resignation. CONMEBOL said Tuesday he would serve until 2015.

Leoz, who has undergone several rounds of heart surgery, had been CONMEBOL's president since 1986 and a member of FIFA's executive committee since 1998. He also resigned that position last week.

The official handover in South America came the same day that a FIFA ethics court judge ruled in Switzerland that Leoz - along with former FIFA President Joao Havelange and his former son-in-law Ricardo Teixeira - accepted bribes from the sport's marketing company ISL from 1992-2000.

The 84-year-old Leoz, who has been hospitalized since Monday, attended what amounted to a going-away ceremony.

CONMEBOL said Figueredo would become a member of the FIFA executive committee, subject to confirmation by FIFA.
 

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Headlines

More than Sports on MSN