Soccer

Southampton suspends Osvaldo over incident

Share This Story

   
 

SOUTHAMPTON, England (AP)

Southampton says it has suspended record signing Pablo Osvaldo for two weeks following a training-ground incident.

The striker has scored four times during his first season at the south-coast Premier League club since joining from Roma in August for 15.1 million euros (then $20 million).

Osvaldo will now be forced to miss the FA Cup match against Yeovil on Saturday, and Premier League games against Arsenal and Fulham.

Southampton's statement said Osvaldo was involved in an ''incident,'' adding that it took ''swift and proper action for what it considers a breach of the conduct expected of its players.''

The Italy international was kicked out of the Confederations Cup squad last year for insulting his club coach at Roma in a breach of national team coach Cesare Prandelli's code of ethics.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Videos

Gerrard retires from England national team Posted: Jul 21, 2014
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has retired from international soccer.

James Rodriguez closes in on Real Madrid move Posted: Jul 21, 2014
Colombia's James Rodriguez could be set for a dream move from Monaco to Real Mad...

Wenger: World Cup winners will benefit Arsenal Posted: Jul 20, 2014
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the club's three other World Cup winners will...

Chelsea fear Salah exile Posted: Jul 20, 2014
Chelsea star Mohamed Salah could be forced into military service by his native E...

Friedel expects more quality players in MLS Posted: Jul 19, 2014
Former USMNT and current Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper, Brad Friedel, expects mor...