Scottish Premier League

Lennon savours title triumph

Share This Story

   
 

Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:36:00

Liverpool striker Fabio Borini is poised to return to full training as he steps up his recovery from a shoulder injury.

The 22-year-old Italian, whose first year at Anfield has been marred by injuries, was ruled out for the rest of the season after dislocating the joint and undergoing surgery in February.

Borini, a ?10.5million signing from Roma last summer, missed three months earlier in the campaign with a broken foot.

Borini wrote on Twitter: "Who i should be and who I feel to be" today first full training after injury!!!"

Borini has scored just one goal in 16 appearances since joining the Reds.

The 36-year-old has been told he will not be getting a new contract at the Reebok Stadium and is free to leave.

As he is a free agent in a matter of weeks, Davies is free to talk to interested parties and Toronto have made their move.

Houston Dynamo showed an interest in January, but at that point the one-time England striker thought he may still prolong his Bolton career.

Now staying at Bolton is not an option, Davies is open to the idea of a move across the Atlantic and we understand that Toronto boss Ryan Nelsen has spoken to Davies about the prospective move.

Toronto sources have told Sky Sports that they are hopeful a deal can be agreed.

The main issue at this moment appears to be whether Bolton would be willing to let Davies leave now or at the end of the season, as Toronto would want him as soon as possible.

However, Bolton's likely involvment in the play-offs means that he could be required to stay up to the Championship play-off final on May 27th.

Davies has played over 400 games for Bolton since joining in 2003.

The Hoops' 4-1 win over Inverness on Sunday saw the defending champions reclaim their SPL prize with a 15-point winning margin over Motherwell and four games still to play.

But manager Lennon reacted angrily to suggestions that the absence of Rangers - demoted to the Irn-Bru Third Division after being liquidated last summer - had taken the shine off this season's accomplishments.

He told the Scottish Sun: "It is never easy. You would denigrate what the (players) had done if you said it was easier. It was not easy at all.

"What everyone misses is that when the results come in and you have had your result, then you look over to what is happening across the road.

"But as far as we were aware or concerned, we knew what was facing us going into the season and we had to get on with it."

The Parkhead boss admitted some fans may miss the Old Firm derbies with Rangers but rejected any suggestion that the fixtures guaranteed close championship races.

"In terms of competition, in my time this is the eighth championship we've won and five of those were by 17 or more points with Rangers in the league," he said.

"The only time it is close is when it goes to the final game of the season. The fans really miss that edge between each other."

Meanwhile, Lennon admitted he fears midfielder Victor Wanyama may leave in the summer, but told the Times only if bidding clubs offer "a lot of money".

The Kenyan has attracted the interest of a number of high-profile clubs, including Arsenal, after a landmark season that saw him score in the club's 2-1 Champions League win over Barcelona.

His display that November night led Lennon to insist the 21-year-old midfielder was worth ?25million.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Headlines

More than Sports on MSN