Dundee hope to name new boss
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:43:00
Julio Cesar has no regrets about joining Queens Park Rangers and has no plans to leave despite the threat of Premier League relegation.
The Brazilian goalkeeper only moved to Loftus Road from Inter Milan at the beginning of the season but he was in January linked with a quick exit.
With QPR marooned at the bottom of the table ahead of Saturday's tough visit of league leaders Manchester United, speculation continues to surround Cesar.
However, he told tuttomercatoweb.com: "We are not going very well as a team but I am happy to be at QPR.
"It's a new experience, I'm living it up and slowly we are trying to move up the ranks.
"The whole team believe in salvation. We have strong players and we will do everything."
Asked about potentially leaving QPR in the summer, he said: "Absolutely not. I am very well at QPR.
"I have another four years of my contract so I don't see why I should leave. My future is here."
Dundee coach Ray Farningham took the players for training on Friday following the sacking of manager Barry Smith.
No official word came out of Dens Park on Friday but Farningham was working very much on an interim basis with no assurances that he will be in charge at Celtic Park.
Dundee chief executive Scot Gardiner was away from the ground on Friday amid reports the club were interviewing three candidates.
Former Dundee players John Brown and James Grady have been linked with the job along with former St Johnstone captain Jody Morris.
Former St Mirren and Queen of the South boss Gus MacPherson and ex-Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood are also reported to be in the frame.
Calderwood told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound on Friday night that his representatives had been in contact with the club.
"You have people working for you," he said. "They phone you up and see if you are interested and then they go and talk to the directors.
"The thing with Dundee, a lot of people on the board are supporters. That can be a good thing but it can also be a bad thing."
Calderwood added: "Looking at years gone by, it's a fantastic club and probably I would say after the top five - the two Glasgow teams, the Edinburgh teams and Aberdeen - I would say they are the next biggest team in Scotland, potential wise.
"They have a fantastic support. I remember being at Ross County when they were trying to stay in the league and they must have taken 2,500 fans up there. It was unbelievable."
Another former Dundee player, Billy Dodds, dismissed reports linking him with the club where he was made redundant as assistant manager in October 2010, when they went into administration for a second time.
Dodds said: "I have not applied for the Dundee job at all.
"I was quite surprised to see my name linked to it. I didn't leave in the best circumstances but I love the club and they have a fantastic set of fans.
"The fans deserve a little bit better. I don't think there has been stability at that club for a number of years.
"I was there as a young boy as a player and I have seen all the characters come and go at boardroom level.
"It's nice to get a bit of stability and maybe get a manager there that's going to be long term."
Smith earlier revealed his hurt at being sacked by the club he had been at for a total of 17 years as player, captain and manager.
Smith, who was sacked on Wednesday, told the Scottish Sun: "The people at Dundee are like family to me. The club has been a huge part of my life - I've been there 17 years and we have been through so much together.
"Saying goodbye was tough. To be no longer part of that is very difficult."
The players were today told not to speak to the media after defender Davide Grassi criticised the timing of the board's decision.
Dundee are 15 points adrift in the SPL but face city rivals United in the William Hill Scottish Cup quarter-finals a week on Sunday.