Wayne Rooney rejects Twitter claims
Wayne Rooney has rejected claims he removed the name Manchester United from his Twitter homepage, condemning the allegations as "a load of rubbish."
It was confirmed earlier this week that Rooney submitted a transfer request a fortnight ago, which was subsequently rejected by the Old Trafford outfit. On Thursday it was noted that Rooney no longer had the words Manchester United on his Twitter page, and instead referred to himself as an "athlete."
This was taken as a sign the 27-year-old sees his future away from the Red Devils despite David Moyes' arrival as manager. Yet Rooney is adamant the stories are wrong.
His representatives insisted no change had been made recently and it later emerged that a number of other Nike-sponsored players - including United teammate Tom Cleverley - had made similar changes to their social media biographies some months ago.
On Friday, Rooney released a statement on his website which read: "There's a load of rubbish being written about me changing twitter bio saying I have deleted Manchester United from it.
"I have never deleted Manchester United from the bio whatever the papers are saying because it was never on there. All that happened was that I was asked by Nike to add @nikeuk to it - the same as many other sportspeople they sponsor.
"Funny, no one's written about that though! That change was made THREE weeks ago and yet people are talking about it as if it's something that was put up yesterday."
Rooney, who has two years left on his contract, told Ferguson two weeks ago he wanted to leave the club but the 27-year-old, who has two years left on his contract, was told he had to stay at Old Trafford.
A United spokesman confirmed on Thursday: "Wayne Rooney is not for sale."