Premier League

Martinez says bid a 'waste of time'

Everton manager Roberto Martinez (L) and defender Leighton Baines.
Share This Story

   
 

Everton boss Roberto Martinez has branded Manchester United's £28million bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines as a "waste of time".

SWEET DREAMS

Which big name stars could be on the move? Find out at the Rumor Mill.

The Toffees dismissed United's joint offer for the two players "out of hand" as "derisory and insulting".

Now Martinez wants to put an end to any further speculation linking the pair with Old Trafford, where former Everton boss David Moyes took charge in the summer.

Martinez told evertontv: "It's been well documented what happened with the transfer speculation, that's been dealt with and it was all a little bit of a waste of time - time I don't want the players to waste.

"I think the start of the season was important for us at Norwich and I won't come out now and carry on talking about the speculation.

"The players have had the demands of international football and then they started the league with a lot of travelling, so obviously you can imagine it's been important these past few days that we can get them recovered, regenerate them in the right manner and get them ready for the next game.

"That, at the moment, is our only focus."

Belgium midfielder Fellaini and England left-back Baines have both been linked with moves out of Goodison Park for some time.

It remains to be seen whether United will submit fresh bids but they would have to be for substantially more than the respective £12million and £16million they are believed to have offered for Baines and Fellaini for Everton to consider selling.

THEY'RE BACK!

The wait is over! Relive the best shots from the Premier League's opening weekend.

Martinez has previously revealed that a buyout clause in Fellaini's contract, believed to be £23.5million, expired at the end of July.

Martinez has promised to keep supporters informed on the issues of comings and goings.

The Spaniard said: "I think the situation is very clear. I think as a football club we will always keep our fans informed.

"When there is something to tell our fans we will do that - they'll be the first ones to know if there are any players coming in or any players going out."

Everton opened their Barclays Premier League campaign with a 2-2 draw at Norwich and host West Brom on Saturday.

These are the matters he wants to be concentrating on and believes the transfer window should close before the season starts.

He said: "I don't believe in getting involved in the transfer window when the games are under way and we are in a very, very important moment of our season.

"We're trying to find our feet, we got a good start under our belts, we've got real competition for places and we've got the visit of West Brom at the weekend."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by