Premier League

WBA accept Hull's bid for Long

Shane Long
West Brom's Shane Long could be making the move to Hull.
Share This Story

   
 

West Brom have accepted an undisclosed bid from Premier League rivals Hull City for Republic of Ireland striker Shane Long.

BIG PRICE TAGS

Which big name stars could be on the move? Find out at the Rumor Mill.

The forward's proposed summer move to the KC Stadium broke down on deadline day, and City have acted quickly to get the deal done this month.

Long has six months remaining on his contract at West Brom, who have the option of retaining him for an extra year, but the 26-year-old now appears certain to join Nikica Jelavic at Hull.

A statement on the Hull website read: "The club has this morning agreed a fee with West Bromwich Albion for striker Shane Long, and will now enter talks with the striker over personal terms."

The deal would take Hull's spending on strikers this month beyond the £10m mark as they look to build on their encouraging first half of the season and consolidate a place in the top half of the Premier League.

West Brom's sporting director Richard Garlick revealed the decision to accept the offer from Hull was made after Long failed to agree terms over a new long-term contract.

Garlick told the club's official website: "We began talking to Shane about a new contract last spring and, during the ongoing negotiations, we made him two offers which would have significantly increased his salary.

"However, despite our best endeavors, Shane has declined to sign a new contract.

"Shane effectively only has 18 months left on his deal and with him no closer to accepting our terms and then Hull making an acceptable offer, we felt it was in the club's best interests to accept the bid."

Hull boss Steve Bruce was forced to issue an apology to West Brom last week when reports emerged that the two clubs had agreed a deal for Long.

It was claimed that the Tigers had agreed a £5m transfer fee with the Baggies and that Long was heading to the KC Stadium on Thursday for a medical.

However, following a denial on Hull's Twitter account Bruce apologized to West Brom, as well as Sunderland over another reported target of his, Steven Fletcher, for potentially unsettling speculation.

CRASH COURSE

Catch all the movers and shakers from this winter's transfer window.

"First and foremost I really want to try and apologize to West Brom as a club, nothing has come from us and the same goes for another 'bid' for another striker. We haven't bid for anyone yet," he said.

"I don't mind speculation but I would be disappointed if I was manager of West Brom or Sunderland because it's simply not true.

"Two days before Long it was an £18m for Fletcher, another load of nonsense. What can I do but sit here and apologize to everyone concerned?"

Long had looked likely to join Hull in September, but the Baggies backed out of the deal at the last minute when they failed in their pursuit of Romelu Lukaku.

Stoke were also among other Premier League teams believed to be interested in Long, whose pregnant wife Kayleah hinted last week that he would be staying at The Hawthorns.

She tweeted: "Not going anywhere! Told Shane happy here & with baby on way it not worth the stress when still in contract! He agreed?? #happydays."

Meanwhile, Egyptian forward Mohamed Gedo's season-long loan from Al Ahly has been cut short.

Gedo scored five times in Hull's promotion campaign last season having arrived

on loan in January, but was restricted to just five appearances this term and has now been allowed to return to Egypt.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

More than Sports on MSN