Arsenal reaches deal for Kallstrom
WINTER TRANSFER MOVES
- Hernanes makes switch to Inter Milan
- Berbatov joins Ligue 1 hopefuls Monaco
- Mata completes United move | Analysis
- Arsenal reaches deal for Kallstrom
- Chelsea signs Zouma from St. Etienne
- Essien moves to AC Milan from Chelsea
- Fulham signs Mitroglou, Holtby | Heitinga
- Dortmund inks Serbian midfielder Jojic
- Bradley back in MLS, signs with Toronto
- Spurs' Defoe joins Toronto FC | Video
- Juventus come to terms with Osvaldo
- Deadline Day Blog | Paper Chase | Recap
Arsenal has signed experienced Sweden midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan until the end of the season after seeing the team's midfield options hit by injury and suspension.
Arsene Wenger confirmed early on deadline day he is in the market for a signing after seeing his midfield options dwindle significantly in recent days. Aaron Ramsey is out for up to six more weeks, while Jack Wilshere's finess is an ongoing concern and Mathieu Flamini is banned for three games.
And the experienced Kallstrom, currently at Spartak, has been identified as short-term cover ahead of a daunting run of fixtures in February and March. The 31-year-old has more than 100 international caps and was part of the Lyon squad which reached the Champions League semifinals in 2010.
Arsenal face Liverpool (twice), Manchester United and Bayern Munich in succession in February, while the return leg with Bayern in March is followed by Premier League games against Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester City and Everton.
Wenger on Friday ruled out a deadline-day move for Julian Draxler, linked with Arsenal throughout January, saying: "He will stay at Schalke."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.