Premier League

Moyes targets new midfielder

Share This Story

   
 

Sat, 20 Jul 2013 09:02:00

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has confirmed the club's interest in signing Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis.

Pardew has been linked with a host of forwards this summer as he looks to bolster his attacking options at St James' Park.

Gomis is the latest name to appear on Pardew's radar with Lyon thought to be willing to sell the French international after a contract row with the 27-year-old.

The likes of Aston Villa, Swansea and Cardiff have been credited with an interest in Gomis, but Pardew is hoping to win the race to bring the player to England.

"We have expressed an interest in Gomis," Pardew told The Times.

"We think that he's a player who has great potential.

"He's a French international who's played at the highest level for his club."

The 30-year-old forward re-signed for the club on Friday, shortly before the Steelmen were drawn against Russian outfit Kuban Krasnodar in the third qualifying round of the Europa League.

Motherwell exited the qualifying stages for both the Champions League and the Europa League at the first hurdle last year, at the hands of Panathinaikos and Levante respectively.

But McFadden is hopeful they can progress further this time around with a bit more self-belief.

He said: "It's going to be tough. Regardless of who we got in the draw it was going to be a tough game.

"But I think we've got to believe we can win the game.

"We need to go there and play to the best of our ability and hope it's good enough.

"They are in Europe so they must have had some success last year and they will be strong.

"But we must believe we can win. We are not here for fun; it's not a day out.

"The manager has brought in some really good players and we have to have confidence that we can win the game."

McFadden has no fears about Well's domestic campaign suffering if they do enjoy an extended run in Europe.

He added: "We are professional players, it's our job, and we want to play in as many big games as we can.

"We've got to try to get into the next round. No matter who we get in the next round, we want to try to get into the group stages.

"We want to do things we've not done before. We want to progress.

"The league form might suffer but it might not.

"You've got to do the best you can do in every game you play in."

McFadden penned a one-year deal after enjoying a successful return to Motherwell in the second half of last season.

His capture was welcomed by boss Stuart McCall, who said: "He's still very hungry to succeed, not only here, but on the international stage as well.

"It's a great acquisition for us."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet

United continue to be heavily linked with Cesc Fabregas and Marouane Fellaini, whilst it is also being suggested Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye could be of interest.

With Paul Scholes retired, Darren Fletcher's future open to debate and Anderson running out of last chances, it is easy to see why Moyes would be targeting that specific area of his squad.

Speaking to reporters in Sydney ahead of Saturday's 83,500 sell-out encounter with the A League All Stars, Moyes said: "When I got the job, I was made aware of what could possibly be done to improve things.

"Signing a midfield player was one area where we thought we could possibly add to the squad.

"It's hard to get top quality players who can come in and affect your team. That's why we're trying to go for what we see as the right players and the best players.

"If you're a player and you're brought up to play football, and you look out of the window and see Old Trafford, if you've got any ambitions about being a footballer, and you're a top-end one, then I think you'll want to play for Manchester United."

Robin van Persie was one who felt that way 12 months ago and was rewarded for the risk he took in leaving Arsenal by getting his hands on the Premier League medal he craved.

And now United hope Fabregas reaches the same conclusion after lodging a bid for the former Arsenal skipper earlier this week.

Not that Barcelona are giving them much encouragement.

Barca vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu said: "Barca can assure everyone that they will not entertain any offers for Cesc.

"It is totally ruled out as Fabregas is non-transferable."

United do not see the situation in quite the same way, with Moyes admitting he was hopeful of hearing some news from executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward in the coming days.

"I couldn't tell you exactly," said Moyes, when asked for a progress update yesterday.

"I am in contact with the chief executive who has been dealing with it. I will hopefully know a little bit more in the next day or so."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by