Premier League

Martinez free to raid Wigan

Share This Story

   
 

Sun, 09 Jun 2013 13:55:00

Wigan Athletic forward Shaun Maloney admits he is unsure as to what the future holds for him on the back of relegation agony.

Maloney did his best to try and steer the Latics clear of trouble towards the end of the 2012/13 campaign, but the FA Cup winners ultimately tumbled out of the Premier League.

An exodus of top talent from the DW Stadium has been mooted ahead of the summer transfer window, with it difficult to convince players to stay on in the Championship.

Maloney is among those being tipped to remain part of the top flight set-up, with a number of clubs said to be monitoring his situation.

The Scotland international insists he is not pushing for a move away from Wigan as yet, but concedes that are issues to be addressed before he knows where he stands heading forward.

On his future, Maloney told the Sunday Mail: "I've not really thought about it. Things are pretty up in the air, like us not having a manager.

"Our chairman spoke about players leaving and staying, and us trying to bounce right back up.

"So there's a bit of uncertainty surrounding the club but when we come back for pre-season, and get a new manager named, things will be a lot clearer."

Last week Wigan chairman Dave Whelan revealed there was no agreement in place to stop Everton from cherry-picking the Latics' best players, but

warned the Toffees will have to pay the full market value.

And Martinez, who recently brought an end to a four-year stint at the DW Stadium, has now confirmed the news.

Martinez said: "No, the chairman (Dave Whelan) has been very straightforward and clear with that.

"He understands that there will be players leaving, not just to Everton, but they will be leaving because the Premier League is where they want to be.

"But nobody will go on the cheap, nobody will be leaving because they want to leave.

"Everyone in football has a price. He understands that any team can lose players when a club gets relegated, not just Wigan.

"The chairman at Wigan has always been very open about that. He never stops players moving and going."

It has been suggested that Martinez will turn to familiar faces to aid him in that quest, with the likes of James McCarthy and Arouna Kone already being linked with moves to Everton.

Martinez has refused to speculate on the identity of those in his transfer plans, but insists there is nothing preventing him returning to Wigan for recruits if he sees fit.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by