Martinez compensation agreed
Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:04:00
Everton and Wigan have agreed a compensation package for manager Roberto Martinez, according to Dave Whelan.
Martinez has been the favourite to take on the managerial vacancy at Goodson Park since David Moyes quit Everton for Manchester United last month.
The Toffees will hold further talks with Martinez in the next 24 hours to discuss the details of his contract on Merseyside, but the club insist that no deal is yet in place
Martinez informed Latics owner Whelan last week that he had decided to quit his post this summer following the club's relegation to the Championship.
"He'd spoken to Everton because I gave them permission," Whelan said.
"When he came back and told me how it had gone, it had gone very well and he was probably in the last two or three on the list.
"Then the chairman rang me and discussed the compensation deal with me, and we agreed that this evening."
The Spaniard is Wigan's most successful manager after winning the FA Cup in May with a 1-0 victory over big-spending Manchester City at Wembley.
Whelan has always made it clear that he would never stand in Martinez's way if he wished to move on, although he wanted a fair price.
Everton, however, issued a statement late on Monday to clarify that there is work still to be done in their meanager search.
It read: "In response to regrettable and somewhat premature reports earlier this evening, Everton Football Club are continuing discussions with regards to the vacant managerial position.
"Whilst positive moves are being made, the club will officially announce details as and only when they are agreed and completed."