Premier League

Mancini reveals Torres snub

Share This Story

   
 

Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:19:00

New QPR manager Harry Redknapp took training for the first time on Sunday morning as he prepares for his first game in charge at Sunderland on Tuesday.

And Redknapp was joined by Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan, his former lieutenants at Portsmouth and Tottenham, who will clearly be teaming up with him once again as he attempts to save the struggling London side from relegation.

Redknapp watched QPR at Manchester United on Saturday and a 3-1 defeat there left them rooted to the bottom of the Premier League table and six points adrift of Aston Villa in 17th place.

Asked on his way into training if this was the toughest job he had taken on, Redknapp told Sky Sports: "It probably is yes, because we've only got four points from 13 games. I don't think it gets much tougher than that.

"It will be difficult but we'll see how we go. We'll give it our best shot and you can't do any more than that. If the players do their best, then we've got a chance."

Asked if Bond would be joining him, Redknapp added: "Yes. We'll be sorting that out this morning.

"We're ready to throw ourselves into it. We'll have a loosener this morning and then we'll start getting ready for the game on Tuesday."

Chairman Tony Fernandes has been busy with his Formula One team Caterham and Redknapp confirmed he has not spoken much with his new boss.

"I think he's in Malaysia or Brazil," said Redknapp. "He phoned and left a message last night but I had gone to bed by then."

The 30-year-old is currently on loan at Marseille after falling out with the QPR hierarchy over his misconduct in the season-ending game against Manchester City.

And his admission about his move from Newcastle last year could end any faint possibility of him rebuilding his bridges following the appointment of new boss Harry Redknapp.

"When I went to QPR it was a choice dictated by money," he was quoted as saying in the Sunday People. "I didn't like what I had done, and I swore I'd never do that again.

"It was the first time in my life that I had taken a decision for money. I did it because my partner was due to give birth - but I did not feel good about it."

Manchester City passed up on the opportunity to sign Fernando Torres before the Spain striker joined Chelsea, according to Roberto Mancini.

In January 2011, City boss Mancini signed Edin Dzeko from German side Wolfsburg, while Torres moved to Stamford Bridge from Liverpool for ?50million - roughly twice the price of the Bosnian.

But Mancini revealed it could have been different.

"Two years ago we had a chance," Mancini was quotes as saying on the Independent website. "We decided for other players, also because of his cost.

"There were four or five strikers, we talked about all of these, and after we decided. We chose Edin because we were missing the qualities he had, [he was] strong in the air and different from Torres."

Torres has struggled mightily since joining Chelsea, but Mancini is still a fan.

"I think he is a good player," he said. "Every striker can have a difficult moment but for me he is always dangerous."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by