Liverpool eye Kolo move - Report
Mon, 20 May 2013 22:12:00
Brighton have apologised to Crystal Palace for the "vandalism" in their dressing room prior to last week's Championship play-off semi-final at the Amex Stadium.
Excrement was found on the floor of the Eagles' dressing room ahead of the second-leg clash between the fierce derby rivals last Monday.
In an email sent to season-ticket holders this evening, Brighton chief executive Paul Barber confirmed the club had formally apologised to Palace and vowed to tighten security at the ground.
However, Barber said he could not comment on the suspension of manager Gus Poyet, assistant Mauricio Taricco and first-team coach Charlie Oatway - for matters unrelated to the dressing-room incident - following the Seagulls' 2-0 defeat.
"It's clearly been a challenging week for our club," wrote Barber.
"Defeat at home to our biggest rivals in a play-off semi-final; the suspension from work and pending investigation of three members of our staff; and the revelation of an unsavoury incident that took place in our visitors' dressing room last Monday.
"These events have led to some unwelcome headlines that we all would have preferred not to have been reading during the last week. Understandably, many supporters have asked me, both in person and in writing, about recent events - and, in particular, how and why they have happened. At this point, I'm unable to give you answers to all the questions you may have.
"What I can say to you is that every football club faces a variety of challenges at different points in its history. We are no exception and I can assure you that we will address each of these challenges as you would expect and want us to, namely, professionally and with as much as dignity as possible.
"We apologised to Crystal Palace as soon as the vandalism in their dressing room was discovered, and again more formally a few days after the match. As a result of what happened, please rest assured we have reviewed our internal procedures to guard against this ever happening again.
"On other matters, you will appreciate that I'm unable to comment further at this time."
Cleverley is a major doubt for the two friendlies after picking up a calf problem during United's stunning 5-5 draw with West Brom on Sunday.
Rodwell has already been called-up in case Cleverley is forced out of the squad and Hodgson admits it would be a low to lose the United man who has established himself as a regular in the England side under Hodgson.
"Tom Cleverley we are waiting on scans and will hopefully know more tomorrow," Hodgson told Sky Sports News. "If the scans show any damage to his calf muscle then obviously we will miss him and that's a blow for us."
Hodgson insists he is treating the two games against Republic of Ireland and Brazil seriously as he feels they are ideal preparation for their World Cup qualifiers later this year.
"Well all games are important when you play for England and I think they are important for me of course as preparation for more important games ahead - the qualifiers.
"But I think they are very important for players as well because every time you put on an England shirt the expectations are great, people want to see good performances from you and you are facing stiff competition from other players so I think all games we play are very important."
England face Giovanni Trapattoni's side at Wembley on 29 May and then World Cup hosts Brazil in Rio on 2 June.
Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Alex McCarthy.
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, Kyle Walker.
Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Jack Rodwell.
Forwards: Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck.
Toure is out of contract at City this summer and it is unlikely he will be offered a new deal to extend his stay at the Etihad Stadium.
The news has alerted a host of clubs across Europe to Toure's availability on a free transfer this summer.
Sky Sports claim that Liverpool are ready to offer Toure the chance to stay in the Premier League with Brendan Rodgers in the market for defensive reinforcements.
Rodgers is losing Jamie Carragher to retirement, while there has been speculation over the futures of Martin Skrtel and Sebastian Coates.
Toure would help fill the void left by Carragher and provide the necessary experience to what is a youthful side at Anfield.
The 32-year-old has made 17 appearances in all competitions for City this season with the centre-back seeing his first-team chances limited by the form of Matija Nastasic alongside captain Vincent Kompany.
Toure has a wealth of Premier League experience having made over 400 appearances during his time in England and has won the Premier League title with both City and Arsenal.