Kagawa to miss another month
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:26:00
Roberto Di Matteo is yet to make a decision on Fernando Torres' involvement in Chelsea's UEFA Champions League Group E clash with Juventus, with it possible that the striker could be axed from the Blues' starting XI.
Torres was hauled off during Saturday's Premier League defeat at West Brom after another miserable performance and Di Matteo could start Daniel Sturridge in his place in Turin.
Ashley Cole should return after recovering from his hamstring injury, as should several other rested players but John Terry (knee) and Frank Lampard (calf) were left in London.
Juventus are sweating on the fitness of Mirko Vucinic, who has been battling flu-like symptoms.
However, the striker trained on Monday afternoon and a late decision will be made on his fitness.
The Italian champions are expected to line up in a 3-5-2 formation, with Fabio Quagliarella, Alessandro Matri and Nicklas Bendtner vying to partner Sebastian Giovinco if Vucinic fails to make it.
The Manchester United midfielder has been absent since suffering a knee injury against Braga at Old Trafford last month.
Initially, Ferguson said he expected the Japan international to be back in action within four or five weeks.
However, speaking ahead of Tuesday's encounter with Galatasaray in Istanbul, Ferguson said: "His progress has been quite slow actually.
"He hasn't started any outside work and, looking now, he may be another four weeks away."
It is a major blow for the 23-year-old, who has made an impressive start to his United career following a ?12million summer move from Borussia Dortmund.
With two goals in his first eight appearances, Kagawa had offered Ferguson a valuable attacking option.
Now he will probably not be seen again until the Christmas programme at the earliest, which is hardly ideal given the strength of competition to get into the United side on a regular basis.
"Overall, he will probably be looking at 6-7 weeks since the injury," said Ferguson.
"The first job now is to get him back."