Harry sorry as PO deal collapses
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 00:56:00
Crystal Palace narrowly beat the transfer deadline to complete the loan signing of Stephen Dobbie from Championship rivals Brighton.
The 30-year-old striker has moved to Selhurst Park on an emergency loan after passing a medical.
Dobbie has played under Palace boss Ian Holloway twice previously, having enjoyed two loan spells with Blackpool in 2010 and 2012.
The Scot played a key role in helping Blackpool twice reach the Championship play-off final, and he also won promotion with Swansea in 2011.
"I know Ian really well and I'd heard there was a little bit of interest and when that became concrete there was no doubt in my mind to come and play for him," said Dobbie, who has made 16 appearances for Brighton this season.
"I've played for him twice at Blackpool and he gets players playing for him, and he's a great man and a motivator, and I just enjoyed working with him every day."
Dobbie joined Palace hours after former Blackpool team-mate Kevin Phillips was also brought in on loan for the remainder of the season.
Odemwingie was pictured outside Loftus Road on Thursday evening, despite his club revealing they had not given him permission to speak to QPR.
He even told Sky Sports News: "Of course I love West Brom and I always will. But I'm very optimistic that I will join QPR, it's a new chapter in my life.
"I am optimistic. A few good players have arrived here (at QPR) and I am happy with the trust Harry Redknapp has in me.
"The last few results have given us a chance to stay up. I don't think the owners will bring in so many players if they don't think it will happen.
"It's not 100 per cent (the deal), it's not sorted yet but I hope West Brom will be happy with what they get."
Redknapp, however, later told Sky Sports News: "I feel sorry for the lad and the way things have turned out. I think he was advised that he should turn up, that the club had made an offer and it was accepted.
"I think the wires must have got crossed somewhere. It won't get resurrected at this time of night, it's too late."
Despite not capturing Odemwingie, Redknapp still enjoyed a productive transfer deadline day, securing the signings of defender Christopher Samba and Spurs duo Jermaine Jenas and Andros Townsend.
"We lost a fantastic centre-half in Ryan Nelsen but bought another top one in Christopher Samba," said Redknapp.
"That was good for us as it was going to be difficult to replace Ryan.
"Other than that, the other deals have been already done, so it was just the two lads from Tottenham really."
Redknapp believes the new signings have boosted QPR's chances of Premier League survival.
"It's going to be difficult but we're bang in there," he said. "We've still got a big chance. We just need to put a little run together, get back-to-back wins, starting with Norwich on Saturday."