Premier League

Eight in frame for Everton job

Share This Story

   
 

Wed, 22 May 2013 22:31:00

Roque Santa Cruz is prepared to take a pay cut to make his move to Malaga a permanent one for both his professional ambitions and his family's future.

The Paraguayan striker has spent the season on loan at the Spanish side from Manchester City and would like to make the move full time after being told he is wanted next season at la Rosaleda.

Malaga's financial problems mean they may have to sell some of their stars, such as reported City target Isco, but could retain others if they are willing to reduce their wages.

"I will take any decisions thinking about my family," said Santa Cruz. "I will think about my children and how another change of circumstances would affect them.

"Now I think that what is best is that they have a bit of continuity and stay with what has been started here."

Looking at the future through professional eyes, the forward would not object to taking a pay cut to stay in Andalucia with Malaga.

"The main thing is that the club keeps going and puts in place a long-term project," he continued.

"I think that they are working out what they will have to spend and, as a result, the majority of players will be asked if they will take a cut in order to stay and create a credible plan.

"Malaga have told me their intentions and that they want me to stay. They are trying to reorganise the deficit and have all the numbers in order."

Moyes is succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United this summer and that has left Everton chairman Bill Kenwright looking for a new boss for the first time in 11 years.

The club are considering several options, with Phil Neville, David Weir and Alan Stubbs three of those in contention, according to Sky sources.

Neville's Everton playing career is coming to a close after over 300 appearances in eight years, and the 36-year-old has been interviewed for the vacancy.

Former defensive duo David Weir and Alan Stubbs, who are currently on the coaching staff on Merseyside, have also been spoken to about the job.

There are five external candidates, with Porto coach Vitor Pereira the current favourite for the position

Pereira was formerly Andre Villas-Boas' assistant at Porto before taking charge in 2011 and he has won the Portuguese title in both seasons at the helm.

He is out of contract at Porto this summer and has emerged as a leading candidate to replace Moyes, along with Wigan Athletic boss Roberto Martinez.

The Spaniard spoke to Wigan chairman Dave Whelan earlier on Wednesday and he is expected to make a decision on his future in the next 24 hours.

Martinez led Wigan to FA Cup final success earlier this month before seeing the club relegated from the Premier League and he has also been linked with the Stoke City vacancy.

Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup, Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay and former Chelsea head coach Roberto Di Matteo are also in the frame.

Laudrup recently confirmed he has no plans to leave Swansea, while Mackay has also played down speculation he could take over from Moyes.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

More than Sports on MSN