Premier League

Damiao future still uncertain

Share This Story

   
 

Fri, 12 Jul 2013 17:15:00

Lloyd Isgrove has signed a new one-year deal at Barclays Premier League side Southampton.

Isgrove has been at Saints since the age of nine, progressing through the ranks to make his debut in last October's Capital One Cup clash at Leeds.

The 20-year-old was named in the squad for the final two Barclays Premier League games of last season and has today signed a new contract at St Mary's.

"Lloyd has shown a great deal of potential during his early years with the club, and he deserves this new contract in recognition of the hard work he puts in," manager Mauricio Pochettino told Southampton's official website.

"He has impressed me in his performances for the Under-21s and with his attitude on the training ground, having taken part in first-team sessions regularly last season.

"He now has the chance to demonstrate at senior level the qualities he has shown during his time with the academy and development squad."

Isgrove this morning travelled with the first-team on a pre-season trip to Spain, where he is joined in the squad by fellow academy graduate Luke Shaw.

The highly-rated left-back turned 18 on Friday and it is understood he will now sign five-year contract with the club, although no official confirmation has been made.

The 31-year-old left-back, who left Dunfermline at the end of the season, becomes manager Graham Alexander's eighth summer signing.

Jordan began his career at Manchester City before playing alongside Alexander for Burnley in the Barclays Premier League.

"That's one thing I do bring (experience)," Jordan told Fleetwood's official website.

"I have played at all different levels and I hope to bring that to the team as well as anything else I can bring.

"I'm obviously left-sided so hopefully it will bring some balance to the team on the left side, but there is some good players in the squad so it's a case of me fighting for my place to make sure I get a shirt."

He added: "I think players-wise we've got as good players as anybody in the league and if we're fit and if not fitter than everybody else in the league, then there will be no stopping us."

Bosingwa signed a three-year deal at Loftus Road last summer after his contract with Chelsea expired.

The Portuguese right-back, who earns a reported £65,000 a week, is one of the big earners manager Harry Redknapp is keen to move on, following the club's relegation from the Premier League last season, Sky sources understand.

But, after drawing criticism from sections of the R's support for his perceived lack of commitment, Redknapp believes Bosingwa must also leave to salvage his career.

"He's got no chance at QPR, the crowd turned on him last season," Redknapp was quoted as telling the London Evening Standard. "He's not liked there as everyone saw. For his own sake he needs to move on and play somewhere."

Bosingwa was fined after refusing to be a substitute against Fulham in December and caused anger when he was seen laughing at the end of a game which sealed his side's relegation.

Redknapp came to Bosingwa's defence but on-loan team-mate Joey Barton made his feelings known on Twitter, writing: "Embarrassing. Show some guts, man."

Napoli had been regarded as favourites to land Tottenham and Southampton target Damiao as they are in the market for a new striker with Edinson Cavani on the verge of joining Paris Saint-Germain.

However, Luigi insists there has been no approach from Napoli for Damiao and that he expects the Brazil international to stay with Internacional for another year.

"No one from Napoli has spoken with me and I do not know if they are talking to his agent," Luigi told Italian station Radio CRC.

"But if I like a football player, I'm going to talk to his club and not with the agent.

"For me there is no negotiation started for Damiao with Napoli, this must be a guess because, I repeat, Napoli have not mentioned this interest either now or in the past.

"How much is he worth? I do not know if I'm going to sell. He should remain here. I believe the player will be here for at least another year."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

More than Sports on MSN