LA LIGA

Ancelotti rules out Ronaldo move

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo has been linked with a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu.
Share This Story

   
 

Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti insists there is no chance of Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo heading to the French capital.

Ronaldo has been linked with a Madrid exit, with Manchester United and PSG among the clubs believed to be chasing the Portuguese superstar.

But Ancelotti has downplayed the possibility.

"Any chance of [Ronaldo] coming here does not exist," Ancelotti told La Stampa. "Money is not sufficient. The deciding factor is the will of the club that he plays for. He is a great talent who needs to play regularly. I like players with great quality and I have that.

"What I have read in the newspapers makes no sense. With Lucas Moura we will have 30 players and I do not need any more."

Stories in the international media suggesting that Real boss Jose Mourinho could be lined up to take over at PSG in the summer also failed to impress Ancelotti.

"I am very calm," he added. "The person that said that about him and Cristiano Ronaldo is a member of the Al Thani family, not the owner. The owner is not thinking like that."

Ronaldo's future with Madrid has been under the spotlight since the Portugal international admitted earlier this season he was "sad" for professional reasons while Spanish newspaper AS on Thursday claimed the £80million man would not be signing a new contract with the Spanish giants. His current deal runs out in 2015.

That has led to suggestions Madrid could be forced to cash in on their star forward to avoid losing him on the cheap, and former club Manchester United and big-spending French side Paris St Germain have been touted as possible destinations for the 27-year-old.

Albiol is keeping his fingers crossed that does not happen though, telling reporters: "I don't know if he's going to renew his contract or not. But Cristiano Ronaldo is the best in the world and we want him by our side as long as possible."

Albiol also wants to move on from the controversy caused by Madrid coach Jose Mourinho's decision to drop long-serving number one and club captain Iker Casillas.

PAPER CHASE

Get the latest rumors as the biggest clubs try to bolster their rosters.

Mourinho surprisingly opted to start with back-up goalkeeper Antonio Adan in place of Casillas for Madrid's final match of 2012 against Malaga last weekend, but Albiol believes the furore caused by that decision has been blown out of proportion.

"After 10 years as a starter, the day that Casillas was a substitute surprised everybody. But I think the controversy was too much. Even Iker said that. We must forget these things that happen outside the club and do our best to win things in 2013. Mourinho took the decision and that's that.

"We will continue training to be at our best level. We must be united. We all want the best for Real Madrid."

Madrid's 3-2 defeat to Malaga left the reigning champions 16 points behind Primera Division leaders Barcelona.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Headlines

More than Sports on MSN