Euro 2012 Qualifying

Trapattoni signs new Republic deal

FoxSoccer.com
Share This Story

   
 

Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni has agreed a contract extension which will run until the 2014 World Cup.

EURO 2012 PLAYOFFS

 
Tuesday, November 15
Montenegro 0-1 Czech Rep Review
Ireland 1-1 Estonia Review
Portugal 6-2 Bos & Herz Review
Croatia 0-0 Turkey Review
More: Euro 2012 | Europe | World

The Football Association of Ireland has rewarded the Italian coach for his recent success in securing the Republic's place at next summer's Euro 2012 finals following victory over Estonia in their qualification play-off.

"I am very happy to continue my job with the FAI," said Trapattoni, whose assistant Marco Tardelli has also signed a new deal.

Trapattoni, who will travel to Kiev for Friday's Euro 2012 ahead of the tournament in Ukraine and Poland, said: "I have always said that Marco and I believe very strongly in the work that we are doing to grow and develop the Irish team.

"It is a huge honour and a privilege to represent the Irish team and we look forward to continuing this important task."

Trapattoni's deal will again be part-funded by businessman Denis O'Brien, who played a significant part in the FAI's original acquisition of the former European Cup winner.

FAI chief executive John Delaney said: "On behalf of the FAI board of management, we are very happy to agree a contract extension with Giovanni Trapattoni and his team of Marco Tardelli and Fausto Rossi.

"They have done fantastic work with the squad, bringing us to qualification for a major tournament for the first time in 10 years, increasing our world ranking to 21st and introducing many new players for the future. Giovanni's experience, professionalism and achievement in qualifying for Euro 2012 has impressed everyone including the players and the FAI board.

"The FAI board of management are particularly grateful to Denis O'Brien for his continuing contribution which gives the Irish team and supporters the benefit of Giovanni's services into the next World Cup campaign."

The Italian's brief had been to steer the national team to the Euro 2012 play-offs, which he achieved before securing the Republic's first appearance at a major finals for a decade with a 5-1 aggregate win over Estonia.

The 72-year-old said after the play-off success: "I have said I think we deserve a new agreement, Marco and myself. We are now happy with the squad. We find new players in almost every game.

"We have done what we were asked to do by the FAI and the Irish people. They chose us for this reason and I think we have given the perfect answer with qualification."

The Italian and his staff have previously taken two pay cuts with Ireland's financial difficulties biting hard, and there had been speculation that a significantly reduced package could be on the table.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Videos

Welbeck's 25-yard strike opens United's count vs. LA Galaxy Posted: Jul 24, 2014
Danny Welbeck gives Manchester United the 1-0 lead against the Los Angeles Galax...

Gerrard retires from England national team Posted: Jul 24, 2014
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has retired from international soccer.

James Rodriguez closes in on Real Madrid move Posted: Jul 21, 2014
Colombia's James Rodriguez could be set for a dream move from Monaco to Real Mad...

Wenger: World Cup winners will benefit Arsenal Posted: Jul 20, 2014
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the club's three other World Cup winners will...

Chelsea fear Salah exile Posted: Jul 20, 2014
Chelsea star Mohamed Salah could be forced into military service by his native E...

SOCCER Headlines

More than Sports on MSN